Do you serve your equipment ?

/ Do you serve your equipment ? #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
Do you serve your equipment or does your equipment serve you ?

That's what I have been wondering lately. Let me explain:

When I am done using my mower, dirt bike, tractor, power washer, tiller, etc, I put them away for another day. About three or four times per year I wash the equipment, service it, and then put it away (again).

In contrast, my neighbor meticulously cleans every thing before putting it away. let me illustrate:

My neighbor cuts three acres of grass once per week. After cutting and trimming, he carefully power washes his tractor, finish mower, dixon zero-turn (for tight spots), weed whip, and finally, he cleans the power washer too. He then dries each machine with a towel. This ritual requires about 5 hours each week.

So, I wonder. Is his equipment serving him or is he serving his equipment. There's got to be more to life than passionately cleansing outdoor power equipment.

What do you think ?

/ Do you serve your equipment ? #2  
Equipment serves me!

The attraction of having the tractor is to do more in less time so you can get on with the rest of your life.

Just spent the evening doing the 300 hour service. Wish I had washed it before that /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif - had to be careful not to get any of the dirt on the inside.

/ Do you serve your equipment ? #3  
I bought mine so I could get my work done sooner. If I had to wash it every time then it would take me longer or at least I think so. A friend of mine used my tractor in exchange for some work and he brought it back well kind of dirty. But after three weeks I still have not cleaned it up.

murph

/ Do you serve your equipment ? #4  
I maintain my equipment thoroughly, annually.

That consists of a wash, wax, oil & filter change, lube job, tire pressure, etc.

On a weekly bases, mowers and weed-eater are just swept off. G

/ Do you serve your equipment ? #5  
Well each to his own. But I would bet money the neighbor doesn't have a hobby of his own or he wouldn't be wasting all that time. Maybe suggest that he take up golf, that will put a dent in all his extra spare time spent washing equipment. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll bet if he did golf his clubs would be spotless also. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Do you serve your equipment ? #6  
I presure wash my tractors 4 times a year just to get the mud off of them. I get them serviced at the correct hours(all oils). I think waxing and washing every time you use it is overkill.

/ Do you serve your equipment ? #7  
My tractors get anual service or more, if hours warrant it. This includes a wash and wax. They get greased at every use.. as well as a quick walk around before work.. check fluids.. bolts.. tire pressure.. etc.

I wash off stuff that will damage it.. like fertalizer from the spreader.. etc.. but not just dirt or mud..

Now my show tractor gets to stay in the garage.. gets wash/wax and tire shine before it goes anywhere...

Soundguy

/ Do you serve your equipment ? #8  
I envy the guy with clean equipment, and I make frequent vows to myself that I will start doing, that, too, Real Soon Now. I have been known to hose off the tractor when it gets really cruddy. Also, every time I clean out the radiator screen (which is fairly often), and I already have the hose in my hand, I'll hose off any accumulated scud. But, that's it. I haven't waxed anything since I last ironed a shirt, and I haven't done that since the last time I took a bath in a tub instead of a shower. And, I can't remember when that was...

/ Do you serve your equipment ? #9  
I rinse it off if the dirt starts interferring with the function! Well, sometimes when it gets so much mud on it that I'm worried it will cake up and be really hard to get out later. I try to take care of the inside! I'd love to have it look all new and shiney, but If I had that kind of time............

/ Do you serve your equipment ? #10  
Mine serves me. It is treated well, in that it goes into the garage rather than staying outside. But I rarely wash any of it. Some of the pieces that are prone to rusting (back blades) may get a shot of spray paint on any fresh deep scratches in their paint to stop rust. But washing is mainly composed of a shot with a hose maybe less than once a year, and probably becuase I need to work on something that is too dirty to work on.

If I had enough time in my life to wash the underside of my mower deck, then I think I would take on a new project in the yard and leave the deck dirty!!!