General purpase chain size

/ General purpase chain size #1  

Michael Aos

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2370-1 RTV500
I have a BX2370. FEL, beet juice in the tires, wheel weights, and a ~450lb Land Pride GS1548 on a Land Pride QH05. Maybe 2000lbs all-up?

I originally purchased some 5/16" G70 chain. 4700lb WLL.

Then I found some 3/8" G70 for about the same price. 6600lb WLL.

I needed to remove some stumps, so I purchased some 10Mg (megagram = 10,000kg) pulleys and 16,000lb synthetic rope. Used chain to anchor the pulleys.

Stumbled upon a some 1/2" G70, so I snagged it. 11,300lb WLL.

Wound up needing needing some shackles for various projects, so I purchased 3/4" (4.75 ton WLL) and 7/8" (6.5 ton WLL) versions.

As an aside, my 2003 Tundra with a full 7000lb Load Trail 5x10 dump trailer is over 12,000lbs.

Finally getting to my question....

All this big stuff is heavy. Neither the FEL nor the 3pt on the BX can even lift 1000lbs.

I'm starting think maybe I should just drop to something like 1/4" G30 chain (WLL 1250lbs) for general day-to-day stuff.

It's kind of a pain having a bunch of different sizes.

Kind of curious if folks have settled / standardized on a particular size?

/ General purpase chain size #2  
I wouldn't get anything less than grade 70 chain anymore. 5/16" is good all purpose size and has good strength. I think I only have 1 1/2" chain and I'm not even sure what grade it is. I do have some 1.5" amsteel blue rope that is rated for over 100k lbs so I think I've got my bases covered for HD pulling. I'd say having a variety of choices is the best option possible.

/ General purpase chain size #3  
I like chain that can hold MORE than loader can life and tractor can pull...your size may vary.

/ General purpase chain size #4  
I have 1/4 & 5/16, but find myself using the 1/4 all the time. Seems well sized for my BX. Never had to go to the 5/16, so far... The 1/4 is also so much easier to handle.

/ General purpase chain size #5  
1/4" is fine for a BX lifting on the loader, or gentle pulls. But I'd stay with grade 43 or 70. But really there isnt alot of weight difference between 1/4 and 5/16.

If you do get 1/4" go easy on pulls. While you might not weigh much, or have alot of traction, its easy to get some extreme shockloading and snap a chain if you try to "bump" or jerk a load.

/ General purpase chain size #6  
In the sCUT and CUT world, 5/16" G70 is the most popular, with 3/8" G70 coming in second place.

Here is the general weights for G70 chain:

Q: How much does Grade 70 chain weigh?
A: Here are approximate "per foot" weights for common sized chains:
1/4" = 11.50 ounces
5/16" = 15.50 ounces
3/8" = 1 pound 6.50 ounces
1/2" = 2 pounds 7 ounces
5/8" = 3 pounds 14 ounces

/ General purpase chain size #7  
I have settled on grade 70 3/8" chain. There are times when you can increase the load on a chain beyond the straight lifting with the FEL. Often curling the bucket will raise a load the lift cylinders could not lift any higher. The chain pressing against the edge of the bucket is more than a simple tension load.

What I did do was to cut my approx 16' Grade 70 chain into two equal lengths as I was carrying or lifting chain I would not use. I put slip kooks on the cut ends of both chains. Most of the time the 8' length does all I need. I hook the two 8' lengths together on occasion. If you have ever had one break while lifting something heavy while a friend wass trying to stop it from rotating, you realize running closer to the chain's limit is just too risky.

Also with two individual chains, I am far more likely to connect to a load in two places than when I had one long chain, thus adding to the safety of the lift
Dave M7040

/ General purpase chain size #8  
I used a 5/16 for years and noticed that the links were getting stretched; it finally broke last year when I was pulling a tree over...I replace it with a 3/8. I'm thinking of using the best part of the old 5/16 to make choker chains (yes, I know, this will then be the weak part of my pulling or lifting).

/ General purpase chain size #9  
I used a 5/16 for years and noticed that the links were getting stretched; it finally broke last year when I was pulling a tree over...I replace it with a 3/8. I'm thinking of using the best part of the old 5/16 to make choker chains (yes, I know, this will then be the weak part of my pulling or lifting).

And what GRADE was your chain? Useless info without your chain grade.

/ General purpase chain size #10  
And what GRADE was your chain? Useless info without your chain grade.

9 out of 10 probably don't know what grade their chain is and the information probably is useless!