Storing tractor and implements outside or under a roof?

/ Storing tractor and implements outside or under a roof? #1  

mike35549

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538 with FEL
I had a 18x41 metal carport with both sides enclosed to store my tractor and implements in. I see a lot of people around where I live that just leave there tractor and implants outside all the time and was just curious where folks on here store there tractor and implements.

/ Storing tractor and implements outside or under a roof? #2  
I store my tractor in a three sided stall in my four bay carport. All my other implement are stored out in the orchard on pallets. One exception - my Wallenstein chipper is in another bay in the carport. I don't mind if the paint fades on my implements but I don't need my tractor tires rotting off the rims in the sunshine and since the chipper has moving parts, it probably does better under cover. None of my other implements have moving parts, like the chipper.

/ Storing tractor and implements outside or under a roof? #3  
I keep my tractor and all implements/buckets in my shop. My mini ex couldn't fit through the 8' high shop door so I had a small pole barn made for it with a 10' high door. These things cost too much (for me anyway) to just leave outside.

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

/ Storing tractor and implements outside or under a roof? #4  
IMHO, the important thing is to keep the SUN off as much as possible. At least in moderate climates. That's what will rot your tires, crack your seat, and fade your paint.

So a shed, aluminum carport, even a ShelterLogic "tarp barn" works. What you definitely DO NOT want is to put a tarp over it where gobs of ground moisture will rise up into the inside of the tarp and everything under it, and cover it all with mold and mildew.

/ Storing tractor and implements outside or under a roof? #5  
I store all my equipment in the barn.
The hay is in a different barn.

20170429_105738.jpg
20170429_120344.jpg
20170429_120140.jpg
20170429_111529.jpg

/ Storing tractor and implements outside or under a roof? #6  
Store the tractor in a shed if possible. The little 40 hp had it's own shed and the 70 hp had to share a shed with the hay if there was space, back in the farming days.

/ Storing tractor and implements outside or under a roof? #7  
Great view

/ Storing tractor and implements outside or under a roof? #8  
The tractor(s) and all implements are stored in my 5-bay shed (exception is the ballast roller). With a concrete floor, the implements are all on wheeled pallets for storing them away in a group and for ease of rolling them into position for changing around.

My shed faces South (Southern hemisphere) to keep everything out of the sun.

Attachments

• 35hayrounds02.JPG
    35hayrounds02.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 939
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 524
   / Storing tractor and implements outside or under a roof? #9  
My tractor was in the heated garage last winter, and will be crammed in there again this winter. But with any luck, next summer will build a 32 x 40 or so metal quansi-hut type storage garage and that will be its new home. That's the dream anyway.

/ Storing tractor and implements outside or under a roof? #10  
I store all in a barn. Running out of space because we also store hay in there for the horses, and the horse trailer. With all the snow and rain we get the tractor will always be inside. If needed the harrow has no moving parts so it will be the first to go outside. Not sure after that.

Next project will be to get all the implements on pallets with wheels so I can move them from here to there easily. That will actually gain me some space. Floor of barn is concrete so I am good.