Just barely avoided disaster. Need to change habits!

/ Just barely avoided disaster. Need to change habits! #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I was moving heavy items around the property today. Typical config-- two chains, each connected to a hook on the top side of the bucket. Wrap around my item, lift and go.

Got the last item moved, unwrapped the chains, and tossed them in the bucket. Was returning to base at moderate speed, but as I got closer I slowed down noticeably. That's the only thing that saved me-- the much slower speed. The hook at the end of the right side chain vibrated out of the bucket, and as it did some chain started to play out without me noticing. I couldn't see it at first since the bucket was in the way.

Faster than I could react, all the chain then came out with one exception. The other end was still attached to the bucket hook. It immediately straightened behind the bucket since I was still traveling forward and then it went under the right front wheel!!! Once it got pinned under the wheel, with me still traveling forward, it started pulling down on the bucket. A very uncomfortable thing to be watching. Fortunately, I had slowed way down, was paying attention, and immediately stopped when some force started to be applied to the bucket. I slowly backed up to release the tension on the chain. I looked things over and all seems well.

I don't know what would have happened if this happened 10 seconds earlier when I was moving at a much faster rate. But I don't think it would have been pretty. From now on, when I toss a chain back in a bucket, it will be unhooked from the grab hook on the bucket. I try to be careful but I had never anticipated something like this at all.

/ Just barely avoided disaster. Need to change habits! #2  
Thanks for posting to keep safe operating on everyone's mind...

I find when I'm away from the tractor for a time... I need a little practice and the biggest help to me on being safe is to slow down and not be in a hurry.

/ Just barely avoided disaster. Need to change habits! #3  
I attended a course on tractor safety - their primary emphasis was about speed. Take it easy and be careful. What you can do at a slow speed could end up disastrous at a higher speed.

/ Just barely avoided disaster. Need to change habits! #5  
Speed certainly has its hazards. Fatigue has its hazards as well. I overloaded my utility trailer with logs one day. I was exhausted running a chainsaw and just wanted to get the last of the logs loaded on the trailer. It's about a 20% grade down to where I have my logs stacked. As I made the turn into the area off the road, the trailer kept going straight and my tractor started sliding on the graveled road into a jackknife situation. Somehow, it came to a stop.

Looking over my shoulder at my trailer, I had close to 7500# of logs (loaded more to the rear of the trailer) and trailer behind a 3200# tractor. Also, I always wear my seat belt. My seat belt wasn't on. In hindsight, I usually have weight in mind and my seatbelt on when loading/roading the trailer. That day, I wasn't using my head because my head wasn't in the game.

/ Just barely avoided disaster. Need to change habits! #6  
I don't know what would have happened if this happened 10 seconds earlier when I was moving at a much faster rate. But I don't think it would have been pretty.
516890-just-barely-avoided-disaster-need-red-jpg

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,004
   / Just barely avoided disaster. Need to change habits! #7  
I have a JD3720 with FEL and toothbar. When it was fairly new and me being inexperienced I was going down the road at about 12-13 mph. The bucket was fairly low for my ease of visibility and I went to adjust the curl up. Instead I adjusted it down and I felt a huge jar as I dug the teeth into the blacktop. Luckily the bucket was low so the teeth were on a bit of an angle so it didn't curl the bucket under. Still, I can see about 1/2" of blacktop gouged out from all 6-7 teeth. Nothing broke, luckily.

I am lackadaisical with my putting the pins in my bucket or forks because I don't want to get off the tractor for the 20 second job. But then I forget they are hanging on the FEL but still unhooked. I have had the bucket unhook from one side and twist the $120 connecting part. I just have to get more diligent with that sequence of operation because sometimes I raise the bucket or forks all the way up and if that would happen at that time I could envision the forks coming loose and falling n my lap.

/ Just barely avoided disaster. Need to change habits! #8  
Plowhog thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of that one.

/ Just barely avoided disaster. Need to change habits! #9  
   / Just barely avoided disaster. Need to change habits! #10  
Looks like a decent rate of speed with a low bucket on the FEL and irresistible force met an immovable object (just barely see it in the bucket at the REAR of the tractor), which caught the bucket lip, dropped the FEL arms and the momentum of the tractor just rolled it up into a wad.