Backhoe Kubota Backhoe subframe help

/ Kubota Backhoe subframe help #1  

d1000

Tractor
Kubota L185 and L225; Cub Cadet 1872
I have the Prairie Dog (PD) Digger, essentially a Woods 750 backhoe that I want to mount onto my Kubota L225 with a L1700 FEL. Although this is a 3-point hitch BH, advice from the Prairie Dog folks is to get the sub frame for a Woods 7500. Woods does not make a sub frame for the L225. So… I have to build my own. This leads to several questions: Does anyone have plans for building a sub frame that they are willing to share? If not, can someone tell me where and how their sub frame attaches to their tractor [pictures would be very useful]? My initial thought is to simply weld a ladder frame that will attach to the FEL support and hang from (or rest on) the rear axle, secured by U-Bolts, so as to avoid connecting to any of the 3-point system. By the way, I should mention that the PD weighs 1057 pounds without the bucket. Add the 18 inch bucket, the PTO pump and fluid and my 220 lbs in the seat and this could easily approach 1500 lbs total. Way more than I would want to risk just hanging from the 3-point hitch, even with beefed up brackets. Any thoughts, suggestions or lessons learned are greatly appreciated

/ Kubota Backhoe subframe help #2  
Ihave a Woods 7500 BH and subframe for my B7800. It is essentially a heavy welded steel A-frame (narrow end at front). The front is attached by heavy retaining pin to a bracket bolted to the tractor frame. The back has slots that fit into the same pins on the frame that are used to mount the lower arms of the 3ph, with a device for locking them. The BH in turn mounts to the rear of the subframe.

The subframe is very heavy and the tollerances are very tight so that the subframe is quite rigidly mounted to the tractor frame frame at the two rear and one front point.

/ Kubota Backhoe subframe help #3  
I just went and looked at the Prairie Dog 7 1/2 yesterday and put a deposit down on one.

I haven't picked up our new tractor yet from the dealer (B2910) but I'm planning on having him order a Woods subframe for the 7500/B2910 and doing a modification to the subframe that he does that allows leaving the Kubota mid-mount mower (or the frame it mounts to) attached while the subframe and/or backhoe is mounted.

When I get the subframe I'd be happy to provide pictures - although I don't know how long it will be before I actually get it - he has to order it and then get the available time to modify it.

/ Kubota Backhoe subframe help
MadDog.. Thanks for the nice description. Can you tell me the thickness of the frame? I don't want to go any heavier than needed, but certainly don't want too light a guage.

rswyan... Thanks. I look forward to seeing the pictures. No hurry. I'd rather wait and get it right.

/ Kubota Backhoe subframe help #6  
My first post after around 5 years of visiting this site. I never had a reason to post because someone else had already asked any questions I had. This post caught my attention though since I have what you might be looking for.

I have a woods 7500 on my 955 Deere. I bought it used with a subframe off a Kubota 2910. I ended up buying a subframe to fit my 955, and still have the Kubota subframe laying next to my barn.

I'll try to post a picture, in case someone wants it.

Attachments

• 432823-subframe.JPG
    432823-subframe.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,363
   / Kubota Backhoe subframe help #7  
One note on the subframe. I have an L3130 and the BH-90 Kubota backhoe and subframe. The subframe not only included the rear framework for mounting the hoe, but it also included new side frame rails that were much beefier than those that came with the tractor.. thicker.. wider.. built to take the stress that the hoe puts on the tractor.

My brother tells the story of seeing a yanmar at his local dealer, busted in two from the stresses put on it by an add on hoe.

/ Kubota Backhoe subframe help #8  
Adirondeere, Just want to welcome you to the forum even though you've been hiding for 5 years! Welcome! John

/ Kubota Backhoe subframe help #9  
dh: Andirondeere's pic captures it pretty well. Someone else asked about this a couple of weeks ago and then I forgot to take pictures. I have to put the BH on tomorrow morning to get enough counter weight in the rear to unload something heavy with my FEL's pallet forks. I'll take some pics of both the main members and the mounting components and post them, probably on Friday. I'll also measure the size of the steel on the main members.

Thanks to all who contributed to this topic. However, I've been advised by Grand Blanc Tractor Sales, the importer of the Praire Dog Digger, that my L225 is too small to handle that hoe. I have to admit that I'm puzzled by this, after all, the L225 has a 24HP 3-cyl diesel engine and weighs about 1600# and has an L1700 FEL that adds another 1100#s or so. This seems similar in size and weight to other CUTs that handle this hoe. BTW, I estimate the total weight of the hoe, including my 220# sitting in the seat to be around 1400#, 1500# tops. Anyway, rather than take a chance on damaging the L225, I've decided to resell the PD. Probably list on Ebay.
MadDog, I'm still interested in the details of the subframe.

Thanks, again to all.