Slip Clutch Adjustment help!

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
So bought a tiller. It has a slip clutch. I loosened all the springs. It was to the point that just moving through virgin ground the tines would stop every so often. I assume that was the slip clutch kicking in? So I tightened the springs about a full turn. Now the tiller is lugging the engine every so often.

So I assume that means I need to loosen the springs a bit? It seems they were too loose and now too tight? Half a turn maybe?

Any advice apprciated. This is my first attachment with a slip clutch.

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #2  
Slip clutches can be tricky........
Lugging (working) the engine is normal depending on what you are tilling. What you dont want is for the engine to stall if the tiller locks up on a rock or stump. If it does stall, the clutch is too tight and not protecting the tractor.

So you want to slip clutch tight enough to do the work, but not so tight that it stalls the tractor when the tiller locks up.

If the slip clutch is too loose then it will wear out rapidly and you need to replace the friction discs.

Also, 1/4 to half turn makes a difference.

Sounds like yours might be correct the way it is now.

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #3  
I have never adjusted my tiller slip clutch. I like it the way it's set right now. It'll stall the engine but most times I'm quick enough to shut the pto off before the engine stalls.

I don't reset it every spring as I store my tiller inside and it doesn't get rusty.

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #4  
I always used 1/4 turn adjustments on my tiller slip clutch. Does the tiller also stop spinning when the engine lugs down or does it keep going? If it is continiuing to spin, yes you need to loosen the clutch a bit. It would be normal for the engine to still be under load when the clutch activates since it does not fully release like the clutch in a vehicle.

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #5  
It takes some time to get one dialed in, I started a little loose then made adjustments to tighten until I felt it shouldn't be slipping, just make sure once you slip the clutch that you allow it to cool off before making the adjustments. After a hour of so mine was dialed in perfect for my hard clay.

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help!
I always used 1/4 turn adjustments on my tiller slip clutch. Does the tiller also stop spinning when the engine lugs down or does it keep going? If it is continiuing to spin, yes you need to loosen the clutch a bit. It would be normal for the engine to still be under load when the clutch activates since it does not fully release like the clutch in a vehicle.

The tiller keeps spinning. So I will loosen a 1/4 turn and see what happens. Thanks.

It takes some time to get one dialed in, I started a little loose then made adjustments to tighten until I felt it shouldn't be slipping, just make sure once you slip the clutch that you allow it to cool off before making the adjustments. After a hour of so mine was dialed in perfect for my hard clay.

Yeah I spent about an hour with it and was just not quite dialed in apparently. I have to be close!

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #8  
:thumbsup: at least you're making an effort to adjust it. If you know the mfg. of the slip clutch, they may have spring lengths listed on their web site in relation to applied torque.

:thumbsup: at least you're making an effort to adjust it. If you know the mfg. of the slip clutch, they may have spring lengths listed on their web site in relation to applied torque.

Yeah it is my first (and so far only) implement with a slip clutch. The manual that came with the shaft was ever so helpful. The full instruction was "Properly adjust torque limit clutch". Gee thanks. I can see why for the tiller it is a better choice than a shear pin would be. For my bush hog I certainly prefer the shear pin.

The nuts that need turned are 9/16 so I guess I need to toss a 9/16 wrench in the tool box and keep tinkering as I go.

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #10  
If not already mentioned... For visual proof the clutch is slipping make a line across the clutch and steel plates.