Where do all the Owners Manuals go?

/ Where do all the Owners Manuals go? #1  

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD Z355E (48" deck)
It's a conundrum that I see constantly here on TBN... missing Owners Manuals.

Presumably every new tractor had one when they were first delivered to their owner, yet the moment (it seems) the tractor is sold the Owners Manual (and the meticulous maintenance records that the previous owner kept up to date in that manual) disappears! I've even seen requests for Owners Manuals from new owners because the manual didn't show up with the tractor (or implement).

So, two things come to mind; a) Where do they go? [like a sock in a dryer :confused3:]

And b) Perhaps Muhammad/TBN could set up an on-line library of Owners Manuals... maybe even Service Manuals, for TBN members? Something that wouldn't infringe any copyright.

/ Where do all the Owners Manuals go? #2  
My take is that many of those who claim they don't have a manual find it easier to ask for info here (or at the dealership) than to figure out what they did with a manual. I've worked at the same dealership for 20 years and we absolutely provide a manual with every machine purchase, but still get claims all the time of 'no manual' even though the buyer signed an RPO stating they received one.

There is also a significant number of owners who keep manuals out of the hands of those who use and maintain the equipment. This practice is just plain stupid.

/ Where do all the Owners Manuals go? #3  
I found a sock up one of my pants leg once when they came out of dryer. Never found a owners manual there "yet".

/ Where do all the Owners Manuals go? #4  
At least on the implements I have bought there is a water tight tube attached w manual rolled up inside. If you remove manual from there and don't put it back when done I have no sympathy.

Used equipment who knows?

At least they are trying to find a manual so they can know how to operate their equipment.

/ Where do all the Owners Manuals go?
At least on the implements I have bought there is a water tight tube attached w manual rolled up inside. If you remove manual from there and don't put it back when done I have no sympathy.

Used equipment who knows?

At least they are trying to find a manual so they can know how to operate their equipment.

Yep. My 4105 and slasher came with the tube... all other implements had a plastic sleeve protected manual. Every one of the manuals now reside in a specific drawer in my workshop.

/ Where do all the Owners Manuals go? #6  
Tubes are relatively a new thing...
I take manuals into the house so I can read them...my latest is sitting right new to me on the table. Wife will get tired of it sitting there and "put it up". Then I can't find them for months. Plus, if I have 2 of the same tractors, no manuals leave with one if it is sold, (mostly talking antique tractors, not modern day tractors).
I grab any manuals that I can, have a friend who works at a large corporate farm, and if they trade in a tractor, they toss the manuals in the trash. He brings them to me, so I have some that aren't for any tractors I have. Guess I am part of the problem???
David from jax

/ Where do all the Owners Manuals go? #7  
I keep, hold on to and read my owners manuals with the fervor of a religious zealot. However, I wonder if owners manuals develop the same "wanderlust" as FIELD PALLETS.

Who knows - they could all be holed up in some musty, dusty barn in some God-forsaken nowhere. Devoid of ownership, looking for companionship - turning to dust prior to ever being read again.....................

/ Where do all the Owners Manuals go? #8  
They get put where they won't get lost,
and are never seen again :)

/ Where do all the Owners Manuals go? #9  
Lost my tractor owner's manual in my shop fire 4 years ago, but it's a good shop manual I could really use. Although I do miss knowing the little things about my tractor, like tire rotation, spark plug changing, adjusting points, setting the clock, programing radio stations and using the 8 track tape player.

/ Where do all the Owners Manuals go? #10  
The other problem is newbies who come on here asking questions about stuff that is covered in the owner's manual, with pictures and details. I don't mind answering dumb questions (I am sure good at asking them) but I am surprised by the number of people who seem to skip right over the owner's manual, and google search, and start out by asking questions here then wait hours/days for replies to trickle in. Seems like the long way to do it.