Snakes love my tractor!

/ Snakes love my tractor! #1  

A72777

I keep my tractor covered by a tarp in the woods of my hunting property. Over the years, I've seen several snake skins woven around implements and the tractor itself. This year, I've had two cases of king snakes being in the tractor when I've uncovered it. The first was a very large king snake (behind the instrument cluster) that I convinced to leave. Yesterday, another slightly smaller king was just under the seat when I uncovered the tractor. He worked his way behind a panel under the seat near the transmission. After trying to dislodge him, I just gave up and started mowing. After about an hour, it dropped to the ground and into the bush hog blades. The tractor is usually kept in deep woods to protect it from two-legged snakes. Any ideas on how to make the tractor less attractive to the real thing? Thanks!

/ Snakes love my tractor! #2  
You are actually VERY blessed. The tarp-covered tractor is a wonderful environment for mice. Mice that will gleefully chew through all your wiring. The reason that the snakes have moved in is that they LOVE to eat the mice. It sounds like you have a perfect natural balance of just enough snakes to keep the mouse population at near zero. King snakes and Rat snakes are the very BEST. Non-poisonous and will bother very little except the mice. Now if you start to raise chickens, they can be a problem!

/ Snakes love my tractor! #3  
I agree with JR but wanted to advise easy clean seat cover or keeping a spare cover on hand.:eek:

/ Snakes love my tractor! #4  
I could use some King Snakes. Haven't seen a rattler in like four years around my house, but I could always use more Kings. Give them my address and maybe they will move down the hill to my place (LOL). They are a very beneficial species, so please try not to hurt them. B.

/ Snakes love my tractor! #5  
King snakes will even eat other snakes, venomous or not.

/ Snakes love my tractor! #6  
Neighbor lady called me one night to come kill some snakes by her garage. When I got there, I found two king snakes all entwined behind a sheet of floor plate that was leaned against the wall (breeding I suspect). I caught them and put them both in a 5 gallon bucket and carried them down the road 1/4 mile or so and put them out in the road ditch.
Man do they stink when they are bothered. I had to soap up several times to get the stink off my hands.

/ Snakes love my tractor! #7  
I hate snakes but I let the King snakes live because they eat the bad ones. I have seen some sort of snake repellant pellets you can buy at Rural King or TS but I would probably get some mouse repellant as well if you remove the snakes those bastards are going to get in and really do some damage on your tractor.

/ Snakes love my tractor! #8  
+1 on giving king and rat snakes(aka chicken snake around here) a pass and let them do what they do best,eat rats and mice. I also recommend owl boxes around the place unless you have hollow trees. If you break up owl pellets they are full of skulls as proof they catch lots of rats and mice.

/ Snakes love my tractor! #9  
While on the topic of snakes---------
Back then I was very into flying , bird nests under the aircraft cowling was a constant problem.
To deter birds nesting we found that a toy store rubber snake left on the aircraft cowling did the trick.

So snakes are not all that bad!

/ Snakes love my tractor! #10  
KILL-IT-WITH-FIRE-FUNNY-FORUM-PICS.jpg