Loader Narrow bucket with teeth vs wider smooth bucket?

/ Narrow bucket with teeth vs wider smooth bucket? #1  

stlbill

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 John Deere 2305
Hello,

On a subcompact, all else being the same, will I notice a dirt digging improvement going from a 62" smooth bucket to a 49" bucket with Heavy Hitch tooth bar? Does the width matter or should I just get a tooth bar and plan to take it on and off for different jobs?

Thank you in advance,
Bill

/ Narrow bucket with teeth vs wider smooth bucket? #2  
For a given bucket width, a tooth bar will increase its digging capability significantly.

With a sub compact tractor, a smaller bucket will dig better/easier than a wider bucket.

I just take my tooth bar on and off as needed on my 54 inch bucket, which is attached to my 30 hp compact tractor. It only takes a couple minutes to remove or replace that tooth bar.

Not sure if this answers your question. But perhaps it's a start

I can't see your post now as I type this, but I think you said you have a sub compact tractor. I can't imagine a 60 inch bucket on a subcompact tractor. So I would say if you do have a subcompact tractor, and want to do some digging with your loader, get the smaller bucket and put a tooth bar on it.

A box blade may serve you better as far is digging goes as compared to the loader with the tooth bar.

Bill

/ Narrow bucket with teeth vs wider smooth bucket? #3  
I have a 45 HP John Deere with a 61-62" bucket with a toothbar. That works perfect for digging and most anything else I ever had to do with it. I could have gotten a 72" I believe and glad I didn't.

With a smaller tractor I would suggest a smaller bucket also and then the results should be just as good.

/ Narrow bucket with teeth vs wider smooth bucket? #4  
I have a 72" bucket with tooth bar that the next thing to a permanent mount. Helps greatly for digging and is fine also for back dragging and smoothing.

/ Narrow bucket with teeth vs wider smooth bucket? #5  
As said given the same size bucket teeth will help immensely. The smaller the bucket the better you can dig as it requires less power but at some point you lose efficiency because you are taking such small bites. Generally I think most machines have buckets sized appropriately for the weight and HP they have.

Another thing to consider is I don't know specifically what you are digging but in the majority of circumstances I would not want a bucket narrower than my tractor. You want to be able to drive on/through the area you just cut. If your tires are wider than your bucket they will be riding up higher on undisturbed ground where your bucket has not cut.

/ Narrow bucket with teeth vs wider smooth bucket? #6  
Just as a follow up,

The OP's tractor is a subcompact about the size of my Kubota BX2200. Width is under 45".

I do not have a loader on my BX, but I do know that it lacks the ability to do hard work, because it runs out of traction and spins the wheels before the engine even needs to work hard. Cutting thick, high grass is a different story, as this can cause the engine to work at its limit.

Anyway, with a small tractor with limited traction the OP would be wise to go with a bucket that is slightly wider than his tractor's tires, but not much wider. Everything is relative. Perhaps the OP will be satisfied with the results he gets. Myself, having experience with the larger tractor would leave me dissatisfied with the performance of the smaller one.

But what we don't know can't hurt us, right?

Bill

/ Narrow bucket with teeth vs wider smooth bucket? #7  
I had the same question soon after I got my compact tractor (GrandL 3540) which came with a 66" smooth bucket. Since a tooth-bar in my area of the world cost about as much as a whole bucket with teeth, I figured I would do an experiment.

I rented a 60" toothed bucket to compare on a project I had started which needed some digging. It was a SS bucket so it was also a deeper bucket.

I definitely found the narrower toothed bucket better and easier to dig with - less traction loss, smoother action so dug cleaner lines, etc Talked to a couple of others and they had the same experience and said the bucket style with the depth was also a factor in better digging.

So, if I bought - rather than rent - I would spend a bit more than the cost of a tooth-bar and get the narrowest tooth bucket that is wider than my tires (60" in my case) and the deeper bucket which will excavate more evenly. While a wider bucket may also work, you do get the greatest cutting pressure by going narrow and as long as it is wide enough - It works for me.

Of course, material, digging depth versus surface area, etc may vary the experience.

/ Narrow bucket with teeth vs wider smooth bucket? #8  
Hello,

On a subcompact, all else being the same, will I notice a dirt digging improvement going from a 62" smooth bucket to a 49" bucket with Heavy Hitch tooth bar? Does the width matter or should I just get a tooth bar and plan to take it on and off for different jobs?

Thank you in advance,
Bill

For your 2305, get the 49" bucket. It will work the soil better than the 62" on your 2305. The 62" would be good for dry snow, not the heavy wet stuff, and mulch. Bolting on or removing a tooth-bar is fast and simple, I do it regularly with hand tools.