Ballast box question

/ Ballast box question #1  

jodebg

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B-2650
My Kubota B2650 came with a Kubota ballast box.

Getting ready to do some loader work and need to fill it.

Thinking of filling it with 1/2" stone from a pile that I have.
For removeable fill materia,l is the 1/2" stone a good option?

Any idea as to the combined weight of this B series box filled?

/ Ballast box question #2  
Crushed stone should be around 100 lb per cubic foot. Measure the box, and do the math. Should get you close.

/ Ballast box question #3  
You can use the measurements of the inside of the box and find a chart on materials and get the weight pretty close. Personally, I'd use river gravel so that it will flow out better if you choose to empty it. But in the end, you may not worry about the fill being removable.
I first filled my [Titan] ballast box with sand, because it was, well, a box, and I may want to haul something else in it. The sand leaked out every little crack until I dampened it! After a couple of months I realized I'd never use the box for anything other than ballast (heck, you can get a carry-all for $150) so I filled it with scrap iron and concrete, because I discovered that the more weight the better! (My BH is 1100 lbs, and the FEL is lovely to use with that on, but it's very unwieldy in tight quarters). You can put some old brake disks or other scrap in the bottom of your box [I chopped up an old paper cutter] even if you still use rock so that your center of gravity is lower. You can also pour in sand to make it heavier and still removable.

/ Ballast box question
Is sand heavier than the 1/2" stone? Got a lot of that, too.

/ Ballast box question #5  
A little heavier.

/ Ballast box question
The references that I am finding states that gravel/stone is heavier than sand.

/ Ballast box question #8  
Fill it up with gravel. Fill it up with sand, vibrate (or drive around) a bit. Fill it up with water.

/ Ballast box question #9  
Fill it up with gravel. Fill it up with sand, vibrate (or drive around) a bit. Fill it up with water.

^^ The best of all worlds, if you are going to empty it at some point. Otherwise, stuff the bottom with scrap iron and concrete the thing. I'm glad I did, I use it whenever I need to use the FEL and the backhoe is to unwieldy.

/ Ballast box question #10  
I was toying with getting a ballast box. However I recently got a tiller. That weighs 630 pounds. So I am just picking that up if I need weight.

My point being if you have an implement that will work you can use that in place of the ballast box.

The bush hog hangs too far out the back to always be practical, but if I happen to have it hooked up it works.