Warning lights on while running; Battery does not appear to charge

/ Warning lights on while running; Battery does not appear to charge #1  

pathunt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 251XE
Massey 251 XE Warning lights

3 Lights in dash come on and will not go out. Battery charge warning light comes on. Engine oil pressure warning light comes on. Transmission oil pressure warning light comes on. Tractor runs with all three lights on.

Belt to alternator is tight and is tensioned on fan pulley.
Transmission shows fluid up to XX mark on dipstick (full).
Battery appears to be sound.
Front lights work. Rear lights work. Turn signals work. Flasher works.
Checked fuses in cavity below steering wheel. All appear to be ok.
Tachometer does not work.

Friday Test
Probed battery with meter 12.87 volts. Probed when running 12.53 volts.

Probed alternator 12.53 volts. Small red wire 1.21 volts.

Sunday Test
Probed battery with meter 12.8 volts. Probed when running 12.55 volts.

Probed alternator 12.55 volts.

Any suggestions or observations you may have will be tried.

Thanks,

pathunt

/ Warning lights on while running; Battery does not appear to charge #2  
Alternator is not charging.
If all lights came on at the same time, then you may have a wiring problem in the dash causing the lights to illuminate and not providing a signal to the alternator to start charging.

/ Warning lights on while running; Battery does not appear to charge
Thanks. All lights did come on at the same time. Then the short should be in the wiring near the dash - and NOT in the wiring going to the alternator?

/ Warning lights on while running; Battery does not appear to charge #4  
I wouldn't think so. That should only cause the alternator problem. Ignore the alternator for now. Figure out why the other two lights are on.
Some older cars and trucks applied 12v to the + side of the lights all the time, and the sensor at the other end supplied the ground. When the ground was made, the light turned on. With this set up, the 12v coming through the alternator light provided the power to energize the field of the generator or alternator. Once it started charging, then there was 12v being applied to both legs of the light bulb and the light goes out.
Depending how sophisticated your tractor is, it could be a variation of this setup.

/ Warning lights on while running; Battery does not appear to charge #5  
I first plan of attack would be to change the alternator, you could have other problems but a bad alternator can cause all kinds of issues.

/ Warning lights on while running; Battery does not appear to charge #6  
My brother just had a similar problem, lights on etc. battery was shorted..

/ Warning lights on while running; Battery does not appear to charge #7  
I first plan of attack would be to change the alternator, you could have other problems but a bad alternator can cause all kinds of issues.

I would have the alternator checked before throwing money at it. But that's me.
Gary

/ Warning lights on while running; Battery does not appear to charge #8  
I would have the alternator checked before throwing money at it. But that's me.
Gary

I hear ya, there are countless story's of bench testing alternators with incorrect results. Testing them isn't always conclusive. Given the test results in the first post would suggest the alternator is defective or the battery is shorted causing lights staying on etc.. A shorted battery or bad alternator or both gets my vote.

/ Warning lights on while running; Battery does not appear to charge #9  
Any progress with your problem?

/ Warning lights on while running; Battery does not appear to charge
To all:

Thanks for your help.

Checked wiring at dash and guages, rebuilt grommets that keep dash from vibrating, secured wiring from vibrating at connections near alternator. Bought & installed new alternator. Put everything back with no leftover parts. Started it up - battery charging at 14.2 - just in time for grandchildren's hayride.

Thanks again.

Pathunt