Very lucky to walk away

/ Very lucky to walk away
Amarsh,
I'm glad you're 'friend of a friend' is alive. Was he injured?

He typed that he got out of it with a sore knee . That's about as good as you could hope for in a bad situation like that.

/ Very lucky to walk away #42  
I think the video might be fake? It doesn稚 start off with, 滴old my beer and watch this! :laughing:

Glad he is OK, that was a close one. As the article states, 70% of fatalities involve tractors with ROPS and 99% have no seat belt on.

An M88 is never around when you need one.....

Last edited:
   / Very lucky to walk away #44  
Biggest error was taking his foot off the clutch pedal when he released it.......... :eek:

Yup. When I used to do things like that with my ancient Ferguson I would for one thing put the back blade on. That gave a nice safety stop sticking way out back. Then that foot absolutely rode that clutch and never came off. If the front end started to bob it got stopped quick.
What this guy did was ohhhh boy:confused3:

/ Very lucky to walk away #45  
I don't have pics, but I'll try to clearly explain a "log" situation I saw my Dad perform many decades ago.

8N Ford tractor stuck in slimy mud. Spun down but not dragging the belly. Cut a stovepipe sized Hickory log 8-ish feet long. Laid it across the tractor behind the rear tires. Chained it to the wheels. Put the tractor in reverse and got on top of the log. Cut more short logs and filled the spun-down holes. Unchained the cross log and drove out forward. As an 8 or 9 year old boy I had no comprehension of how ingenious that was. :)

I did the same thing about 10 years ago with my old Case tricycle after sinking the front end in mud. It worked very well. I think if the log is laying flat on the ground, it is a relatively safe method but only in reverse. You just gotta remember to hit the clutch before the log comes up and hits the transmission...

That video is pretty scary to watch- it is amazing that he was able to get out of the way so smoothly. It is a good example of why not to try doing it that way.

/ Very lucky to walk away #46  
My grandfather put a log through the spokes on both wheels on a farmall h I was about 5-6 years old not realizing the danger at that age, he lifted that tractor up and out I don't remember seeing the front tricycle tires coming off the ground. Back then that was the only tractor he had. 60 years later I have 3 tractors just in case including the farmall h.

/ Very lucky to walk away #47  
I hear all of you making noise but chaining logs to the wheels was a common occurrence years ago,
when you only had one tractor and it was 2wd. A lot of firewood was cut in the winter off swampy ground
and when you bust thru the frost and vegetation mass you were done without extreme measures.
I have seen logs laid under a tractor and chained to both wheels to move forward, behind the wheels to back it up
and length wise to try and walk them out, if you are carefull it can be done the clutch foot has to be smooth and fast.
That being said I have a phone and people to call when I get in a bind now days, but if the need arose I could and would do it again.

/ Very lucky to walk away #48  
I hear all of you making noise but chaining logs to the wheels was a common occurrence years ago,
when you only had one tractor and it was 2wd. A lot of firewood was cut in the winter off swampy ground
and when you bust thru the frost and vegetation mass you were done without extreme measures.
I have seen logs laid under a tractor and chained to both wheels to move forward, behind the wheels to back it up
and length wise to try and walk them out, if you are carefull it can be done the clutch foot has to be smooth and fast.
That being said I have a phone and people to call when I get in a bind now days, but if the need arose I could and would do it again.

Pretty spoiled aren't we.....

I was harvesting a very large oak tree that wind knocked down a couple weeks ago. On a fairly steep hillside. We'd had some rain so it was a little slick. I whined to myself the whole time I was getting it cut into pieces I could handle and carried to the log trailer using the 4wd Kubota with FEL and Grapple. One of the trips to the trailer I was going backwards and felt my left rear tire run up onto something. I pulled forward and moved over to miss it. Was a very large oak stump cut off about a foot above the ground. My Dad had harvested that tree when I was a kid using a Strunk chainsaw that weighed 20lbs and brought everything out of the timber with an 8N Ford tractor. I quit whining. :)

/ Very lucky to walk away #49  
I have never seen logs chained to a tractor like this but have been told how well they will pull. Would think if he had done this in reverse it would have been safer. But what in the world was he pulling to be so hard to move with regards to a pickup? Wonder if it was in low gear? Why would he have hooked the chain around the axle housing? He was very blessed to survive.

That's the answer. With the front end held down by the truck/chain then the rear end can't flip itself over. Once the rear tire logs elevate you to their maximum height you can expect a hefty bump when you drop back down, but no flipping over. The logs by themselves aren't a terrible idea, but forward pulling with no ROPS and logs seems to not be the best plan.

Do we know how badly harmed the truck and tractor are? I thought it was interesting that the engine seemed to be running upside down even after it flipped.