Can it do it? Disc and hay grapple

/ Can it do it? Disc and hay grapple #1  

CDennyRun

Gold Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 75
Hey folks! Long time no post. I recently bought a Kubota grand L5030 (45 PTO hp 50 @ the engine), 4x4 with loader, R 4's and the rear tires are ballasted with Calcium.. weighing in at around 6500lbs I'm guessing.

My questions are: Do you think it could pull an 8' disc? The R 4's leave me questioning that I can. Also I'd like to build a 8-bale hay grapple for it.. would that be too much for the loader? I know I would probably need more ballast. I don't know what the loader can handle that far out. Lift to full height @ 500mm is 1764lbs.

I was just wondering if anyone else with a similar sized/weighted tractor has done the things I'm hoping to with this tractor.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Chris

/ Can it do it? Disc and hay grapple #2  
I have a NH Workmaster 60 that's 1,000 lbs heavier bare tractor. All else is the same, loader, & R4's filled. I have a set of Taylor way 8' with 20" disk and pull it no problem. Seeing you have 4x4 I think you would be fine. I will say I think without some type of attachment on the loader (simple bucket) I think you will need some front ballast weights if you plan to disk without the loader or an attachment. I did some with nothing on my loader this week and noticed I was a little light in the front, fine for where I was, but I wouldn't want to hit the road to my destination like that.

/ Can it do it? Disc and hay grapple #3  
NICE TRACTOR.

The key metric for Disc Harrow function is total implement weight bearing on each disc/pan. Disc Harrow weight is primarily a function of pan diameter. So you need to prioritize/settle on pan diameter first, then Disc Harrow width.

You can comfortably pull a Tandem Disc Harrow with 22" diameter pans (1,300 to 1,900 pounds/8'), with your L5030. Traction will not be an issue with 22" diameter pans/8' width and your L5030 setup.

As Disc Harrow is weight cantilevered far behind the tractor, it makes excellent counterbalance to FEL loads, if you have plenty of maneuvering space for a very long grapple/tractor/Disc unit.

MORE: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/332493-tandem-lift-disc-harow-monroe.html?highlight=

YET MORE: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/308251-disc-harrow-selection-18-45-a.html?highlight=

What specific tasks do you contemplate for your Disc Harrow?

(Your response has been limited because your thread title is confusing.)
(Better: Need Advice: Disc Harrow & Grapple For Kubota L5030)

Last edited:
   / Can it do it? Disc and hay grapple #4  
I think my MF could handle it the grapple and it'd only 10 hp more than yours. I'd probably spike a 4x5 round bale on the back, for ballast. Can't say about the disc.

/ Can it do it? Disc and hay grapple
Awesome! Thank you very much for the info. I plan on keeping the loader attached while doing this.. you just never know when you're going to need it to move a fallen branch or rock while tilling.

Much appreciated!

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Jeff! This is all good information. I really don't know much about tillage equipment, so again.. thank you!

Awesome, thanks! Your Massey is definitely built heavier than my Kubota. I plan on adding some ballast to the rear, maybe my brush hog. If that's not enough, I can get creative! Ha ha

/ Can it do it? Disc and hay grapple #8  
If you are just moving the hay a very short distance you will most likely be fine, hard to say not knowing the weight. But I move 900-1100 pound 4x5 round bales with mine with nothing on the rear if just a short distance. Like you my rears are filled. Just keep the hay low and speed slow with nothing on the rear. But I would say a rear ballast wether it's a decent sized implement, spiked round bales, or ballast box or drum filled of some sort will make life much nicer when handling hay on the FEL.

If you are just moving the hay a very short distance you will most likely be fine, hard to say not knowing the weight. But I move 900-1100 pound 4x5 round bales with mine with nothing on the rear if just a short distance. Like you my rears are filled. Just keep the hay low and speed slow with nothing on the rear. But I would say a rear ballast wether it's a decent sized implement, spiked round bales, or ballast box or drum filled of some sort will make life much nicer when handling hay on the FEL.

Thanks BMan2005! Since I'm mostly a one man hay operation, I would be driving through the field loaded with 8 bales to where ever my truck/trailer is located at the time. Most of my fields are small, around 5 acres so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. I figure the accumulator loaded with bales will probably weigh about a total of 800lbs, so that's not a big deal, it's just the overall length will be just over 7ft from the pin. It would be great if I don't need balast though!

/ Can it do it? Disc and hay grapple #10  
Just remember the farther out the weight the more you'll notice it. You'll know the first time you lift it. Haha

If you need a ballast though and don't want anything bulky behind you just buy you a ballast box or make one. I needed one for when I'm cleaning hay out the barn and clearing the fire breaks around the property. Here's a thread I had looking for ideas on mine. Cat fever has a really nice one on there.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/385776-concrete-barrel-ballast-box-idea.html

Good luck man and enjoy it! Not sure how I went this long without a FEL around here.