Disaster turned into an asset

/ Disaster turned into an asset #1  

Texasmark

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford: '88 3910 Series II, '65 3000; '07 6530C Branson with FEL, 2020 LS MT225S. All Diesels
Was working this miserably poor hay patch yesterday and a rock (which we have very few here....thanks to the glaciers) hit my side glass on my cab. Last time that happened it was the door on that side and it was $640 parts and shipping. Another red ink haying operation.

I figured this glass would be around $400 and decided I wasn't going for it. Got to thinking and looking and Lexan which is used for auto light covers head and tail, was at the local big box stores at a very reasonable price. Also the plastic sheets can be cut and formed....this rear window has a curve at the rear go extend part way around the back.

I decided that an impact resistant, clear poly sheet would serve me better than shattering safety glass. While shopping I found large sheets were quite inexpensive so I got the idea to cover my right cab door too. I got on ebay and found some 3" neoprene rubber hazard environment rated suction cups with a シ-20 threaded female insert for $10 each.

I'm going to replace the rear glass and put a shield over my door.

You hear guys talk about doing that with drum and disc mowers and I have been thinking about it since breaking my door several years ago. Now I think I have a practical solution that can be implemented, with functionality and not tearing up anything on the tractor.

The neat thing about the cab door is you just put it on when you cut hay and when finished take it back off.

Figured I had to share this as I know full well lots of you folks out there either already had it happen or were dreading not if it would happen but WHEN! Now you can do something about it for about 150 bucks.

/ Disaster turned into an asset #2  
If you could post picture of the mounting when you do mount it I would appreciate it. I worry about boom mower.

/ Disaster turned into an asset
Guess I didn't punch the post button.

Will be toward the end of the month before I post back on this. Have a Dr.'s appt. the 25th and will p/u supplies while in town then a few days to do the work and get posted.

Well I thought about it some more and what parts to use. My suction cups came in today and are really good "suckers" but I may not need them after all.

I ordered my OEM glass this morning and it was $250 plus shipping. That was quoted by one dealer at $165 and about $100 for another (where I ordered my part) if I come to their store and pick it up. Parts guy was guessing and said he wouldn't know the shipping till he got the invoice. First time I heard of that....just stick your neck out for shipping and take what the charge you..........Clerk said that he just passes through the cost, doesn't mark it up like apparently the other one did.

I decided that the tractor was too nice being a 2007 model I bought new and now with just over 1000 hrs, to cobble it up. The money's spent and I will just have the view of and through it to enjoy.

On what to do I decided to build an extension out on the front of the mower sticking far enough out front to block any debris coming from the outside drum's knives. While I'm at it I am going to take that utterly useless skirt off. I have some ⅛" 4x8 sheet steel and some 1" square tubing I can weld up into a frame and the sheet to it and U bolt it to the top cover of the mower.

/ Disaster turned into an asset #5  
what kind of mower is it mark?? weve run Kuhn and vicon for 30 years and never had a busted glass. we don't have a lot of rocks tho

/ Disaster turned into an asset #6  
I have run Kuhn, New Holland and John Deere disc mowers since they came out. Over the years we have replaced windows on the tractors 4 times and fixed a radiator when the mower threw a stone making a right hand turn. After having a window blown out next to you, you will never consider running a disc mower without a cab.

/ Disaster turned into an asset #7  
Forming plexiglas is not that easy from what I'm told. I bought a windscreen for a rare bike from a guy who did it in his shop and he used heat and a form, and had made a numbr of duds in practice.

/ Disaster turned into an asset #8  
One thing to know about Polycarbonate: you can’t polish out scratches.

Some motorcycle windshields are made from PC, but they usually use an impact grade Acrylic, which can be polished (I use toothpaste).

LexGuard is a laminated PC, which can even be made bulletproof.

what kind of mower is it mark?? weve run Kuhn and vicon for 30 years and never had a busted glass. we don't have a lot of rocks tho

Agri something, made in Turkey. Rocks are small (as rocks go) 1 to 3" diameter. Tillage brings them to the top and rain exposes them. The blades on the drum are 1-2" off the ground. The outer drum is the problem as it is turning in toward the tractor. No telling how many you hit and things aren't perfect. But when they are whacko.

It has a curtain like others and I even put a ¼" square hardware cloth in front of the skirt since the wind blows the skirt back making it useless and the mod is open and stays vertical....till product forces it back. The other problem was I was traveling at a high rate of speed and there was minimum vegetation, nothing to block it.

I'm in the middle of the fix as I type. I am putting a 15" extension on the front of the mower with a frame strong enough to resist pushing from tall crops and on the door, I'm making a sheet steel cover that I will attach with the suction cups, just in case the steel misses one. Lot cheaper than my acrylic resin idea.....I have all the parts and plenty of time to make the mod.

I have run Kuhn, New Holland and John Deere disc mowers since they came out. Over the years we have replaced windows on the tractors 4 times and fixed a radiator when the mower threw a stone making a right hand turn. After having a window blown out next to you, you will never consider running a disc mower without a cab.

Things were humming right along, no problems in 3 days of working the field. Had my HD 30 db ear muffs (large, almost cover the whole side of your head....thank goodness). All of a sudden I hear this crashing noise and simultaneously feel something hit my muffs and my cheek.....small segments of safety glass. I found the rock and it was about 3" in diameter. Could have knocked me out had it not been for the muffs.