Box Blade Ballast?

/ Box Blade Ballast? #11  
I have several lengths of 15'-20' logging/towing chain that I wrap around the top frame on the box blade.

/ Box Blade Ballast? #12  
I welded some very heavy angle iron on the top rear of my 6' boxblade, I estimate about 125 lbs. or a little more. I also cut a hole with the torch and mounted a 2" trailer ball to use on my utility trailer around my place - very, very handy. One of the best things for your boxblade is a hydraulic toplink if you happen to have a rear remote. Even just slight 1/2" to 1" adjustments make a tremendous difference in the way the blade bites and doing it from the seat on the go is the only way to go for me.

/ Box Blade Ballast? #13  
I strapped 3 6-7' grader blades to the top of my 6' King Kutter box blade. It worked fine behind my L3200 for dirt work. But later driveway & road work just proved to hard without more weight.

My final upgrade was $1000 for a 5' LandPride LPGS & an old 76" Gannon box blade (missing some springs for the scarfier mechanism & the scarfiers. Haven't used the Gannon yet, but the LPGS is everything it's cracked up to be. Works so much nicer than a box blade for driveway work. The KK box already ran off to a neighbor with a L3901. Really hope the Gannon works out with the new L4060. Not sure what I'm going to do with the grader blades now as the LandPride LPGS torpedoed my plans for building my own.

/ Box Blade Ballast? #14  
I use my box blade mostly as a ballast weight. I cut an old pair of heavy steel forks up and welded them on the backside of the blade added about 300lbs and then i have a 5 gallon bucket between the 3pt braces bungeed in thats filled with log chains!

/ Box Blade Ballast? #15  
I found a 55 gal. barrel sits horizontally on the back of my boxblade with a couple ratchet straps to hold it in place. Use the 2" bung hole to fill with a garden hose and installed a 3/4" valve in the lower hole to drain. I needed the extra 400 lbs. when using my forks to move pallets of stone and found it helps a lot when grading also.

/ Box Blade Ballast?
Ya'll have given me some good options. Thanks to all.

/ Box Blade Ballast? #17  
Is there any trouble getting them to stay on? i have tried concrete blocks and they shift around and get busted sometimes.

No. Except for once when I was really bouncing along one side fell off.
Box Blade.JPG
The frame on my Frontier allows the weights to sit in a pocket between the frame ends and the bar goes from side to side and just lays in on top of the side ends and the center framing..