Box Blade Ballast?

/ Box Blade Ballast? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I need to add some weight, maybe around 200 lbs or so) onto the back of my 6' box blade. My L2501 won't have any trouble with it. When the driveway is a little dry and I need to scrape it, it won't dig in very well. I also scrape my oldest son's drive across from me and he stands on the back and it cuts well into red clay, even when dry. When I do mine by my self, is when I need the extra weight. If it's wet, no problem. The red head complains if it gets a little rough so you know what that means....it's gonna get fixed. I drive a truck so it doesn't bother me. She drives her VW and it will bounce around a little. :laughing:

Any help on this? I figured some of you smart fellows have already addressed this. Thanks.

/ Box Blade Ballast? #2  
On my 6' box blade I was able to put a weight lifting bar across it with all the weight I could fit on it. I put the big cast iron weights on and also a set of the plastic covered ones. They were laying around anyway and it worked quite well. They can be bought cheap from old guys who are past that phase.

/ Box Blade Ballast?
Is there any trouble getting them to stay on? i have tried concrete blocks and they shift around and get busted sometimes.

/ Box Blade Ballast? #4  
I laid some sand tubes over the top of mine; the scarifiers keep 'em from falling off. Of course, I scrape at very low speeds, as well, but a couple of bungees could be used.

/ Box Blade Ballast? #5  
I just used a concrete-filled 5-gallon plastic bucket to add weight to the 4-ft wide box blade on my 2005 Kubota B7510HST. Weight about 100 lb.

DDIL-Kubota.JPG

Good luck

/ Box Blade Ballast? #6  
I had a neighbor weld a bracket on to hold a piece of railroad rail...but I wish I had even more weight than that.
Sawscabbard.JPG

/ Box Blade Ballast? #7  
Your red head complains if it gets a little rough? That's odd:shocked:

/ Box Blade Ballast?
I have some old 5 gallon buckets laying around. I'll get some quikrete and fill 'em up. Did it take more than one 40lb bag for each?

/ Box Blade Ballast?
I can just imagine what the train did when it hit that missing section of rail...:laughing:

On a serious note, my daddy was on the old GM&O railroad for about 35 years. He had some stories to tell. I miss hearing the old trains pulling up the grade about 1/2 mile from where I grew up. Sometimes late, when laying in bed, I think I can still hear the horn sounding long and low.