Oil & Fuel Kerosene?

/ Kerosene? #1  

bfisherman11

Silver Member
Tractor
LS G3033H
I was gifted a kerosene heater. I kind of looked around at a few stores but don't know where you can buy kerosene. Keeping it tractor related I will heat my pole barn while working on my tractor this winter. Ha

Anyhow, a friend told me I could use desiel fuel. That' sounds iffy to me.

So I thought I would ask you all. I'm sure someone here knows.

Thanks guys,
Bill

/ Kerosene? #2  
Diesel fuel will NOT burn cean...

I buy my Kero from a gas station, it's priced at a fraction of what "stores" charge.

Box stores and even Walmart here, carry's kero though.

SR

/ Kerosene? #3  
Some do fine with diesel,others not so well. Try it and see. Most big box stores keep it in stock,call Lowes and Home Depot. Ask about special ordering 5 gallon buckets.

/ Kerosene?
I shopped at Home depot and could not find it but it was summer so off season. I did not ask but figured they should sell it. I will give it a shot.

Thx,

Bill

/ Kerosene? #5  
IF it's the "wick" type heater, diesel WILL shorten the life of the wick...

SR

/ Kerosene? #6  
Depends on the type. I have a torpedo heater that is designed for dual fuel. It burns clean on diesel.

/ Kerosene? #7  
I was gifted a kerosene heater. I kind of looked around at a few stores but don't know where you can buy kerosene. Keeping it tractor related I will heat my pole barn while working on my tractor this winter. Ha

Anyhow, a friend told me I could use desiel fuel. That' sounds iffy to me.

So I thought I would ask you all. I'm sure someone here knows.

Thanks guys,
Bill

You can use diesel fuel but it doesn’t burn clean like kerosene.

/ Kerosene? #8  
I burn Alladin lamps when the power goes out, that can be several days in winter, as we are at the end of the line.

Kero has an "aroma". but is much less then fuel oil.

Lamp oil is less olfactory offensive, but it burns less "nicely".

Pick your priority. If you want heat at the least cost, there are more btu's in fuel oil/diesel. But there are trade offs!

/ Kerosene? #9  
In a Torpedo-type heater they use different 'jet' settings for Kero v Diesel. usually there is an adjustment screw with a lock-nut at the rear of the unit. i.e. you can run the burner on either but you need to adjust the jet depending on which fuel you choose to use.

The instructions will advise to adjust with the heater running such that the front 'cone' glows cherry red in the middle 2/3rds and is darker at the outer edge.

For the wick-type I think you are limited to Kerosene or Paraffin. (Since there is no adjustable 'jet'.)