Gasoline VS diesel - heavy equipment

/ Gasoline VS diesel - heavy equipment #1  

hcforde

Bronze Member
Tractor
none yet
I am considering buying a trencher that will have the capacity to dig at least 6 feet. I am looking for a trencher/backhoe combination machine. The class of trencher will be in the Ditch witch 6510 and Case 860 range. Some model in this range have both diesel and gasoline engines. I know the diesel has a bit more torque what should I look out for and the caveats of both of these types of engines.

Thanks

/ Gasoline VS diesel - heavy equipment #2  
If I'm not mistaken, machines like that are basically large hydraulic pumps. That is, the motor turns one or more pump, and the pumps provide power to hydraulic motors to turn the trencher, and operate hydraulic rams on the backhoe and for steering rams if its articulated. And propulsion.

So really, if the motor is rated for the HP to run the pumps, it doesn't matter if its a gas motor or a diesel motor. With that said, You'll probably have much less fuel consumption with a diesel, and these machines tend to want to be run at full RPM to provide maximum hydraulic flow. It its a good industrial gas engine, it will probably outlast you, so longevity of either type of engine is probably not that big of an issue. Also, they don't tend to be run for hours and hours, day after day like a farm tractor in a field or a loader in a pit or quarry.

/ Gasoline VS diesel - heavy equipment #3  
For me I have diesel at the home place and in slip tanks in both trucks. Diesel is much easier to transport and handle. For that reason I've moved nearly everything over to it. However, if it's just day work and on a trailer when done I wouldn't be afraid of the gas.

Brett

/ Gasoline VS diesel - heavy equipment #4  
Diesel has more torque, better fuel efficiency, and longevity over a gas motor. We run a fleet of over 300 pieces of construction equipment. Everything we can get in a diesel is a diesel. Those we had as gas that could be converted have been.

/ Gasoline VS diesel - heavy equipment #5  
If your going to use it every day all day get a diesel. They generally use a lot less fuel for a given load. If your only going to use it once on a while....get a diesel. They start a lot easier after sitting for month's.

/ Gasoline VS diesel - heavy equipment #6  
The big question is what's the price premium for the diesel VS how many hours you'll plan on using it. Spending several thousand dollars more for something that's only gonna be use a couple hundred hours per year just to save a dollar per hour in fuel costs would come out to something like you're saving $200 per year in fuel costs and it'll take you 10 years for the payback. Add to that the cost of any diesel repairs VS gas engine repairs IF something catastrophic were to happen, and it'll take you several decades to get your money back.

Again, it depends on hours of usage. A machine sitting doesn't make any money. And as far as that goes, MANY, MANY times it comes out WAAAAAAaaaaayyyy cheaper to hire out a job or rent a machine.

So what are your plans for using this machine?

/ Gasoline VS diesel - heavy equipment #7  
The big question is what's the price premium for the diesel VS how many hours you'll plan on using it. Spending several thousand dollars more for something that's only gonna be use a couple hundred hours per year just to save a dollar per hour in fuel costs would come out to something like you're saving $200 per year in fuel costs and it'll take you 10 years for the payback. Add to that the cost of any diesel repairs VS gas engine repairs IF something catastrophic were to happen, and it'll take you several decades to get your money back.

Again, it depends on hours of usage. A machine sitting doesn't make any money. And as far as that goes, MANY, MANY times it comes out WAAAAAAaaaaayyyy cheaper to hire out a job or rent a machine.

So what are your plans for using this machine?

Ah but Moss, You haven't mentioned anything about the time, aggravation and expense to get a carbureted engine running. Especially if you happen to get unlucky about the whole thing after letting it sit for a while. I have three gas engines on the yard. A generator which makes me go Grrrrr once in awhile, A quad which has never given troubles starting, but it's fuel injection. And a 47 IHC KB-1. It makes me go Grrrr once in awhile but I'm not changing it to a diesel!

The rest of our vehicles tractors mowers etc are all diesels because I hate fussing with carburetors.

Good point about planned usage and machine rentals.

/ Gasoline VS diesel - heavy equipment #8  
If your going to use it every day all day get a diesel. They generally use a lot less fuel for a given load. If your only going to use it once on a while....get a diesel. They start a lot easier after sitting for month's.

I have an old Ford IDI, mostly farm, truck. The thing will sit for many months. After clearing out mouse nests from the intake all I need to do is glow-plug it and it rattles to life. I have a backup generator for the home and it's diesel (small Kubota- 1800 rpm is its life); a generator is NOT something that you want to find doesn't start (especially if it's your wife that has to start it up). My generator will get regularly exercised, but, again, being diesel gives me piece of mind: and, if need be, I can run it non stop, only need to refuel and change oil/filters, until the end of time (these engines can rack up 20k hours- mines got 670 hrs).

Only time I've had problems starting diesels is batteries. Have had a couple of quirks with air in fuel, but very rare and not a big deal to resolve.

And as stated, fuel storage. If it were an absolute emergency I could run the fuel in my cars (diesel also): this would only be in case of absolute emergencies, as I know that getting caught running off-road fuel on-road is a big slap (I'll deal with an emergency first, slap later). I only need to maintain a small amount of gasoline for chainsaws and such: if there were diesel chainsaws I'd probably be running them!:laughing:

Of course, I come into this discussion fully biased (with a user name of DieselBound what would you expect!;)).

/ Gasoline VS diesel - heavy equipment #10  
I only need to maintain a small amount of gasoline for chainsaws and such: if there were diesel chainsaws I'd probably be running them!:laughing:

When I decided to buy a chain saw I said enough of that mixing gas crap! I have a generator, extension cords and a quad. The generator goes on the quad and I can cut wood anywhere I want to. I have a chain saw that everytime I pull the switch it starts. Yes it is not always as handy as a gas chainsaw but for as much as I use it....