Hyd top link bent

/ Hyd top link bent #1  

mgraham112

Gold Member
Tractor
long 2460 - belarus 250 - JD 4230 - Kioti DK40SE
I bent the ball end of my top link and I was going to weld on another, but I thought about just heating and bending it back. Any thoughts? 20171022_210127.jpg20171022_210030.jpg20171022_210059.jpg

/ Hyd top link bent #2  
I would heat and straighten it. Just make sure not to get cylinder to hot and burn the seals.

/ Hyd top link bent #4  
Extend all the way. Wrap wet towel around the cylinder sealing area. Heat with torch. Bend straight. Allow to cool via air only unless you fear seals in danger of getting too hot.

/ Hyd top link bent
How did that come about?
I was in a rush to hook up the disc and I needed the toplink to be longer by a few inches. I didn't feel like switching toplinks or tractors, so I just put a quick hitch adapter between the disc and toplink. I only had one pass to do before seeding. I took a chance and paid the price.

/ Hyd top link bent
I'll try and bend it back this afternoon. I like the towel idea

/ Hyd top link bent #7  
I'm surprised that that bent and did not snap off instead.
Suggests to me that whoever did the eye welding onto the cylinder shaft did not heat treat properly.
If you succeed in bending back check carefully for signs of cracking.
You just might need to have that eye end re welded professionally.

If needed a new eye end is not all that costly and readily available.
In fact the best bet might just be cut off and weld on a new end.

/ Hyd top link bent #8  
I'd remove the rod from the cylinder, and all seals from the rod, before attempting any repair.

/ Hyd top link bent #9  
I was in a rush to hook up the disc and I needed the toplink to be longer by a few inches. I didn't feel like switching toplinks or tractors, so I just put a quick hitch adapter between the disc and toplink. I only had one pass to do before seeding. I took a chance and paid the price.

Well...that certainly sucked. We've all been in that position one time or another so you've officially joined the club! :D

/ Hyd top link bent #10  
I'd remove the rod from the cylinder, and all seals from the rod, before attempting any repair.

This is not necessary. Just extent the rod all the way out and wrap a wet towel around it and the seals won't get any heat. I've done this several times and never had a problem.