Adding a Backhoe to a compact tractor

/ Adding a Backhoe to a compact tractor #1  

Roger66

Silver Member
Tractor
2017 Mahindra 1526, John Deere LX255
I already have a back hoe that was intended for a skid steer. It has a bobcat quick attach mount, but also two connecting arms to lock it into the machine. It's mounted to my log splitter and functions well, however this machine is large and cumbersome. I don't use the back hoe often and most of the time I'll use it on the splitter, but in case I need to use it on my tractor for maneuverability or the splitter is offline. Do you think it would be safe to mount this back hoe to my 3 point hitch? I could add a quick attach plate to the 3 point. I could also mount it to the quick attach on my FEL, but I'm not thinking that the FEL is beefy enough for this load. My tractor is a Mahindra 1526. What do you think? Remember this is for occasional use, but I do live in New England so there are rocks everywhere! there is no such thing as an easy to dig hole here.

Yes, I did say log splitter, you need to see the videos below to understand.

First test of the back hoe, just figuring out what the levers do.
Backhoe attachment - YouTube

Shows the splitter driving
Homemade Self-Propelled Log Splitter - YouTube

The splitter splitting
Home made log splitter with 6 way head - YouTube

Thanks!

/ Adding a Backhoe to a compact tractor #2  
no comment on the Backhoe but I like that splitter

/ Adding a Backhoe to a compact tractor #3  
My guess is your tractor is too light for that backhoe. The other thing to consider is hydraulic flow...does your tractor have adequate GPM for a 'hoe?

/ Adding a Backhoe to a compact tractor #4  
I would think adding it to the 3 point with a S.S.plate would be a disaster waiting to happen.

/ Adding a Backhoe to a compact tractor
This hoe is about the same size as the Mahindra one is. The difference of course is that the Mahindra one has significant extra bracing to the tractor. As for flow, again the size is about the same as the stock one would be, so the flow should be adequate, but even if the flow is low it just means slow inefficient operation. The same pressure will be achieved just slower. Even if it's slow and inefficient, I'm not stating an excavation company here, just digging the occasional drainage trench on my sprawling 1.5 acre property. Yes that's 1.5 not 15. I think the Mahindra hoe was like an extra 7K if I remember correctly. Hard to justify since I already have one on my splitter.

My concern of course is damaging the 3 point on the tractor when I hit the first rock. I understand that there are many 3 point mounted back hoe's out there, so it's not like i'm the first one to try this.

/ Adding a Backhoe to a compact tractor #6  
Watched the Ytube video, and while the splitter power unit clearly has ample hydraulic capacity to run that backhoe, I honestly don't think it's safe for use even on the splitter unit as shown. There is just way too much bending and flexing going on when you operate the controls. First, there appear to be two top mounting points that would have been attached somehow to whatever previous vehicle it was on that are now simply hanging out in the air. Those probably gave the original setup a much more rigid and secure connection that it now lacks. Also, there does not seem to be much lateral stability, since instead of the usual wide-spaced outriggers, this backhoe has a pair of very narrowly centered ones about as wide as the narrow axle on that power unit (or the rear end of your Mahindra).

I'm sure you could rig up a way to hang that thing off the 3 point of your tractor, but it's already bending and flexing enough that it won't need some rock to put it out of action. Eventually just its ordinary operation is going to cause some kind of structural failure. I can't tell you what to do of course, but considering that you or someone you know will be sitting on it if something happens, I would only hope you see fit to come up with a more secure mounting setup.

/ Adding a Backhoe to a compact tractor
Watched the Ytube video, and while the splitter power unit clearly has ample hydraulic capacity to run that backhoe, I honestly don't think it's safe for use even on the splitter unit as shown. There is just way too much bending and flexing going on when you operate the controls. First, there appear to be two top mounting points that would have been attached somehow to whatever previous vehicle it was on that are now simply hanging out in the air. Those probably gave the original setup a much more rigid and secure connection that it now lacks. Also, there does not seem to be much lateral stability, since instead of the usual wide-spaced outriggers, this backhoe has a pair of very narrowly centered ones about as wide as the narrow axle on that power unit (or the rear end of your Mahindra).

I'm sure you could rig up a way to hang that thing off the 3 point of your tractor, but it's already bending and flexing enough that it won't need some rock to put it out of action. Eventually just its ordinary operation is going to cause some kind of structural failure. I can't tell you what to do of course, but considering that you or someone you know will be sitting on it if something happens, I would only hope you see fit to come up with a more secure mounting setup.

Grandad4 you are right. I did dig a hole with the unit mounted as shown,lots of rocks really pushed it . I did get the job done, but I bent the top link. I have since fabbed a anchor point for those two top mounting points. Now It's plenty strong on the splitter. Not sure If I can figure a way to add those mounting points to the tractor.

/ Adding a Backhoe to a compact tractor #8  
Good to hear that you beefed it up. It looks like you have some good knowledge and metal fabbing skills... so you're probably someone who could get this done. That is a nice backhoe, with good structure and decent sized cylinders, so it should be pretty capable if you can give it a good platform to work from.

I'd be concerned that any tractor mounting arrangement using the 3 point mounting points would be overmatched by the capability of that backhoe, and I'd encourage you to look into building a proper subframe to secure it to your Mahindra. I seem to recall that Mahindra has (or did have), an outfit called Bradco building their backhoes... a top quality supplier for sure. If you could eyeball how the Mahindra/Bradco backhoe mounting frame was setup on a tractor like yours, it might give you a frame of reference to go by for mounting points, strength/thickness of steel, etc.

/ Adding a Backhoe to a compact tractor #9  
How many ditches do you think you're going to dig on 1.5 acres?

I've got 40 acres and I rent excavators to do ditching (and digging out of stumps). I'm no pro with one, though I'm not exactly shabby either; I could probably dig any/all ditches on your 1.5 acres in about four hours time. Rentals aren't all that expensive. A backhoe cannot compare to an excavator for digging: IF you're needing to move excavated material THEN a loader starts to even out things.

/ Adding a Backhoe to a compact tractor #10  
How many ditches do you think you're going to dig on 1.5 acres?

I've got 40 acres and I rent excavators to do ditching (and digging out of stumps). I'm no pro with one, though I'm not exactly shabby either; I could probably dig any/all ditches on your 1.5 acres in about four hours time. Rentals aren't all that expensive. A backhoe cannot compare to an excavator for digging: IF you're needing to move excavated material THEN a loader starts to even out things.

I bought my 1970 model 1350 hour Ford 3400 TLB (a cemetery machine, with 10' hoe and sub-frame) thirty one years ago.
Last year (1850 hrs) I did a complete refurbishment. Looks like new! Always stored inside! Paid $10,000. Possibly worth more than that now.
As you can understand from the low hours, whenever I do use the machine, it is often only for only an hour or so. I have a 12 acre property, in an area where EVERYTHING is VERY expensive!
Conceivably, I might have needed to rent the machine 500 separate times over the past 30 years.
Renting would be VERY inconvenient for me, and VERY costly.
I absolutely love having my little 44HP TLB always readily available.
I don't use just the hoe. I use the loader for the bucket, and for the forks.
I am too old to pick up heavy stuff. I use pallets for everything I think I may need to move again.
At 77 years old, I am likely not that far from the grave, but I want to take my Ford 3400 TLB with me ...... to dig the hole!

Last edited: