Operating on steep hills and Engine/HST oil starvation?

/ Operating on steep hills and Engine/HST oil starvation? #11  
I called my dealer about backhoeing on a hill. He said don't operate the BH for extended period over 15 degrees. I don't know if he's right or wrong.

/ Operating on steep hills and Engine/HST oil starvation? #12  
With my L3200hst I was mowing some steep ditches. I was going extremely slow & way puckered up. I knew it was time to back up when I stopped moving forward. Not because of oil issues, but because the high side tire was spinning freely as it didn't have enough weight to get traction. I'd let it in 2wd intentionally so I'd have 4wd to get out of trouble if needed. I'm guessing I was in the high 30s, maybe 40ish for angle. Definitely a lot of pucker factor there, but after doing it a few times I wasn't as worried. Didn't do it often though & avoided it if possible.

/ Operating on steep hills and Engine/HST oil starvation? #13  
Are you sure the hills are 35-40 degrees? Did you actually measure the angle? The reason I ask is because I drove my truck up a very steep road in West Virginia that I swore by looking at it had to be 35 degrees and it FELT like it too when I drove up it. I checked the inclinometer on the display of my 2011 F150 and it read only 14 degrees. On my flat driveway it reads '0' degrees.

/ Operating on steep hills and Engine/HST oil starvation? #14  
Are you sure the hills are 35-40 degrees? Did you actually measure the angle? The reason I ask is because I drove my truck up a very steep road in West Virginia that I swore by looking at it had to be 35 degrees and it FELT like it too when I drove up it. I checked the inclinometer on the display of my 2011 F150 and it read only 14 degrees. On my flat driveway it reads '0' degrees.

Yeah, we had a piece of club property which had an impossible slope to get to the top of the hill, but it measured at "only" 22.5°. We were guessing double that!

/ Operating on steep hills and Engine/HST oil starvation? #15  
Interesting. I was relocating dirt last year with my L4060hst on a 30-40 degree slope and was unable to lower the FEL at the top of the hill (straight up the slope). As I recall, I was holding in place with the brakes (not with the hst) and had to push the fel into float to get it down. I will look into slightly over filling the hst. Anybody know what the potential risks are to over filling?

Overfilling could puke some oil out the breather system, or, if that's clogged, could push out an oil seal, which can be anything from an annoyance to splitting the tractor to fix. I'd guess a gallon extra on a ten-gallon system won't hurt, however.

/ Operating on steep hills and Engine/HST oil starvation? #16  
I called my dealer about backhoeing on a hill. He said don't operate the BH for extended period over 15 degrees. I don't know if he's right or wrong.

There was an issue with early low serial number Grand Lxx30 series tractors if you were operating backhoe with a tractor nose down attitude where the hydraulic pump drive would be starved of oil and seize up.

The Kubota fix was a new pump holder casting with a lube hole and that connected to a new oil filter base with a orifice and a steel line connecting the two. Did not want to take the chance so put the kit on I think the issue was corrected on later tractors.

David

/ Operating on steep hills and Engine/HST oil starvation? #17  
I mow a road bank that is as steep as my pucker factor can go with my jd855. I run the engine and hydro right on the full mark and have not had any problem.

Not sure of the oarnge tractor limits. 😂

/ Operating on steep hills and Engine/HST oil starvation? #18  
I measured the slope yesterday and found it to be 28 degrees. It sure looks steeper than that though.

/ Operating on steep hills and Engine/HST oil starvation?
I mow a 32° measured slope, 32° is steep. Real steep. My general property is 16°, that's the "flat" part of my yard :)

/ Operating on steep hills and Engine/HST oil starvation? #20  
It is very common to guess almost twice the slope angle. I have 2 angle indicators on my tractor to tell me what it really is. My 45 degree sloped roof is also always a reality check. Amazing that my tractor is rated to go sideways on that angle.

Ken