IH plow, what model???

/ IH plow, what model??? #1  

tylertown

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 40 backhoe, Ford 5000 general purpose
20171027_173037.jpg
20171101_165352.jpg

It looks like at one time it could have been a 4 bottom plow but the man I bought it from claimed to have bought it new in the 80s and only owner said it was a 3 bottom when he bought it. The I.d. plate on the plow has a serial number but the model number has faded off. This one also has some plastic flippers he said when it was new on top of the moldboard a peice of one is still on it others are broken off

And insight on this will be appreciated. I just want to know the model so if I need parts or anything.
Thanks,

/ IH plow, what model??? #2  
Appears to me to be a 420 but the 420s I've seen have a gauge wheel. I can't see what kind of a wheel this has hidden behind the last bottom. Also it looks like toggle trip bottoms. The trip latch is an expensive replacement part - like $75. We have several junkers we've picked up just for the latches although we rarely use the plow that has that type trip. There are a few for sale on tractorhouse. You can look at the pics and see how they compare to yours, and also the variety of gauge wheels because no 2 have the same.

/ IH plow, what model???
Appears to me to be a 420 but the 420s I've seen have a gauge wheel. I can't see what kind of a wheel this has hidden behind the last bottom. Also it looks like toggle trip bottoms. The trip latch is an expensive replacement part - like $75. We have several junkers we've picked up just for the latches although we rarely use the plow that has that type trip. There are a few for sale on tractorhouse. You can look at the pics and see how they compare to yours, and also the variety of gauge wheels because no 2 have the same.

Screenshot_20171102-071522.png
Screenshot_20171102-071603.png

These are the best two of the wheel I have it does not have coulters on it but could have been removed.
Thanks

/ IH plow, what model??? #4  
Gauge wheels were optional just like many today. There were several bottoms available and it should be the super chief which used a four bolt point. The landslides don't look right or someone left off the wear pad which means the main piece wears faster. Being that it was a four bottom originally it very well could be a 420 model.

/ IH plow, what model??? #5  
View attachment 527065
View attachment 527066

It looks like at one time it could have been a 4 bottom plow but the man I bought it from claimed to have bought it new in the 80s and only owner said it was a 3 bottom when he bought it. The I.d. plate on the plow has a serial number but the model number has faded off. This one also has some plastic flippers he said when it was new on top of the moldboard a peice of one is still on it others are broken off

And insight on this will be appreciated. I just want to know the model so if I need parts or anything.
Thanks,

The plastic flippers are the trash boards, they can be steel or plastic. Looks like compatible with super chief bottoms to me as well.

/ IH plow, what model??? #6  
Kind of does look like a 420 with the unusual type of gage wheel they have. Sure looks like it did a fine job out there in the field.

/ IH plow, what model???
The plastic flippers are the trash boards, they can be steel or plastic. Looks like compatible with super chief bottoms to me as well.

Do you recommend getting some to put on it? My ground isn't bad no rocks pulled up a freon canister buried about a foot deep.
Are they mainly for turning over stalks and waste crop or something?

/ IH plow, what model???
Gauge wheels were optional just like many today. There were several bottoms available and it should be the super chief which used a four bolt point. The landslides don't look right or someone left off the wear pad which means the main piece wears faster. Being that it was a four bottom originally it very well could be a 420 model.

If I wanted to add a the 4th bottom is the super chief bracket also a trip plow? So several diffrent plows use the same bracket just get a moldboard and landslide to match the rest?

/ IH plow, what model???
Kind of does look like a 420 with the unusual type of gage wheel they have. Sure looks like it did a fine job out there in the field.

Thanks, it did great but I'm not going to lie haha...
my first attempt at pulling a plow and it took a while to get it adjusted like I wanted, I was fighting it, and....

I did not know that I was supposed to start in the middle of the field until I had made about 20 passes driving back and plowing up haha then my dad came by and asked why I wanted to use so much fuel... I had to take my grader blade back there and fill in the ditch where my first rows hooked up with the correct way to plow a large field..

I figured it "somewhat" out now I have 1 more good sized field to finish turning over this weekend haha. Should go better

/ IH plow, what model??? #10  
Hmmmm....... if it makes you feel any better - I didn't know about starting in the middle until now. A couple years ago I plowed up a small field by going round and round starting on the outside. I guess that explains why my plowed field looked different than everybody else's - ha,ha. I've got a single bottom moldboard plow made by Pittsburg.