Can you use a metric socket on a sae bolt? socket set questions.

/ Can you use a metric socket on a sae bolt? socket set questions. #1  

Rob 80

Silver Member
Tractor
B2650
All my sockets sets are metric, i just picked up a land pride snow blower for my b2650 it looks like the land pride bolts/nuts are SAE since it's made in the US.

I worry about striping out the heads if i use metric sockets on the land pride sure they fit but not very well.

I have seen socket sets that can do both metric/sae in the same socket kobalt makes them. Is there a easy way to see if a bolt head is sae/metric?

Guess i need a Bolt Gauge.

Just wondering what you guys do since tractor parts are bigger :)

/ Can you use a metric socket on a sae bolt? socket set questions. #2  
Bolt heads with numbers (4,7,8.8,10.9,12.9) are metric. USS/SAE bolt heads are plain (grade2), have 3 hash marks oriented radially (grade 5), or have 6 radial hash marks (grade 8). 13mm can be used where a 1/2" wrench works, 14mm for 9/16" and 19mm for 3/4", 22mm for 7/8", 24mm for 15/16" and 30mm for 1-3/16". There may be a couple more, these are from memory.

/ Can you use a metric socket on a sae bolt? socket set questions. #3  
I have several sets of both sae and metric sockets/wrenches. I like to use the right wrench when it comes to sizes under 19mm or 3/4". It seems like I have fewer problems that way. I find the same interchangeability as RickB but there is no substitute for 12mm, 16mm, 17mm or 18mm. I see those sizes lots so I just have a complete set. Once you get to the larger sizes I find there are less issues with making a mess of a bolt. Especially if you use a 6 point socket.

I've never used a metric/sae socket so can't comment on that.

/ Can you use a metric socket on a sae bolt? socket set questions. #4  
Use correct sizes if you can, an extra set of imperial sockets/spanners isn't hat pricey to get you out of trouble. Look up flank drive, they can suit a range of sizes.

/ Can you use a metric socket on a sae bolt? socket set questions. #5  
Don't use the wrong size socket, that will just mangle things. There are at least 2 metric & imperial that are the same size & can be used interchangeably, but that's the exception not the rule. A cheap set of sockets from Harbor Freight will be just fine for occasional use.

/ Can you use a metric socket on a sae bolt? socket set questions.
There's one bolt on the land pride that is larger than 27mm and i have no sockets larger than that. It's one on the top link meant to be used for the quick hitch the dealer installed it in the wrong hole going by the book.

/ Can you use a metric socket on a sae bolt? socket set questions. #7  
All my sockets sets are metric, i just picked up a land pride snow blower for my b2650 it looks like the land pride bolts/nuts are SAE since it's made in the US.

I worry about striping out the heads if i use metric sockets on the land pride sure they fit but not very well.

I have seen socket sets that can do both metric/sae in the same socket kobalt makes them. Is there a easy way to see if a bolt head is sae/metric?

Guess i need a Bolt Gauge.

Just wondering what you guys do since tractor parts are bigger :)
This is what I use to see what size wrench is needed, vernier calipers:

caliper1a.png

/ Can you use a metric socket on a sae bolt? socket set questions. #8  
I have several sets of both sae and metric sockets/wrenches. I like to use the right wrench when it comes to sizes under 19mm or 3/4". It seems like I have fewer problems that way. I find the same interchangeability as RickB but there is no substitute for 12mm, 16mm, 17mm or 18mm. I see those sizes lots so I just have a complete set. Once you get to the larger sizes I find there are less issues with making a mess of a bolt. Especially if you use a 6 point socket.

I've never used a metric/sae socket so can't comment on that.

11/16 = 17mm

/ Can you use a metric socket on a sae bolt? socket set questions. #10  
Come on. Sockets and wrenches are dirt cheap at the Ace hardware store. I buy replacements and extras like I might buy light bulbs. 'Never know when they will be needed.