How difficult to operate a mini excavator

/ How difficult to operate a mini excavator #1  

AlbertC

Silver Member
Tractor
New holland 3930
I have about 3 acres that I want to clear on my property. Quite a few big pines and sweet gums but a lot of 4-6 inch trees that I don't want and lots of smaller privet and brush.

I don't want to get it mulched because it leaves a lot of splintered stumps that will re sprout back out and difficult to mow because of the stumps. I was thinking about renting a mini excavator. Could dig up the smaller trees and brush and if I did have any regrowth it would be easier to mow.

I thought about buying a used mini ex and then selling after I'm finished but I saw that I can rent one for $2000 per month. Problem is I have no experience operating anything like this. Can someone tell me what the learning curve is to use one of these to clear land as I described. Land is level and flat.

Thanks

/ How difficult to operate a mini excavator #2  
Interested and following

/ How difficult to operate a mini excavator #3  
For just three acres 2000 dollars will get you someone else that knows how to run one do it for you. Lots quicker too. You could be burning while he cleared and be done with it.

/ How difficult to operate a mini excavator #4  
If you want to pay for the experience and possibly have alot of frustration it can be done. The best teacher is by doing but its not nearly as easy as it looks. Do you have any equipment running experience? Personally, I love running excavators and I'd do it in a heart beat. Just realize that the digging is the easy part, the cleanup is where the real work is!

/ How difficult to operate a mini excavator #5  
Not difficult at all on mostly level ground...you will get better by the hour after initial orientation of the controls...both track and boom/bucket

/ How difficult to operate a mini excavator
For just three acres 2000 dollars will get you someone else that knows how to run one do it for you. Lots quicker too. You could be burning while he cleared and be done with it.

Around here I can't get it done for $2000.

/ How difficult to operate a mini excavator #7  
If you have no experience , trees are not where you want to get it .

/ How difficult to operate a mini excavator #8  
I say go for it...Rent the machine for a couple of days and see how you do...if you have not damaged anything and can see some improvement in the operation...rent it for the month...it will be very rewarding...

/ How difficult to operate a mini excavator #9  
I have about 3 acres that I want to clear on my property. Quite a few big pines and sweet gums but a lot of 4-6 inch trees that I don't want and lots of smaller privet and brush.

I don't want to get it mulched because it leaves a lot of splintered stumps that will re sprout back out and difficult to mow because of the stumps. I was thinking about renting a mini excavator. Could dig up the smaller trees and brush and if I did have any regrowth it would be easier to mow.

I thought about buying a used mini ex and then selling after I'm finished but I saw that I can rent one for $2000 per month. Problem is I have no experience operating anything like this. Can someone tell me what the learning curve is to use one of these to clear land as I described. Land is level and flat.

Thanks

I was in a similar situation. 15 Acres, but in reality, only working on about 3 or 4.

I bought a used Takeuchi machine, did all the work, then sold the machine for a $1000 profit. Of course a cheap used machine comes with its own set of problems, overheating, wiring, etc.

Once I sold my Takeuchi, I actually ended up buying a brand new Volvo. I love that machine. It is my mid life crisis toy. I find more and more reasons to use it.

So IMHO, I sugegst buying a used piece of equipment, do your thing and then sell it. Anything in the $15K range should hold value for a year or two without any question and should be usable.

/ How difficult to operate a mini excavator #10  
If you have no experience , trees are not where you want to get it .

1000% true. An inexperienced operator trying to take down trees = broken machinery or WORSE. If you really want to DIY, buy a machine and use it to dig stumps for a few hundred hours. Then you can tackle 20-foot trees and other things that won't kill you. Taking down 80-foot trees that are 24" DBH is certainly possible with a mini-ex, but it can get very exciting very quickly. There is no opportunity for mistakes. The machine has to work like an extension of your own body, and it takes a lot of experience for most people to reach that level of proficiency.