Magnetic block heater mounting?

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
Ok, not a tractor but a Chevy 6.5 diesel. I bought a magnetic "block" heater. The oil pan seems like the only suitable place to mount it. The lower part of the pan is about the same place as the front axel so dragging the heater off was a concern. It's also dented, so not an ideal mounting surface. The upper part is better on both accounts. Does anyone think it'll be effective there? IMG_0632.JPG

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #2  
Will it work? Yes.

Will it be as efficient as being on the bottom? No.
Since you're loosing out on the circulation of oil due to convection...

Are magnetic heaters any good? I wouldn't honestly recommend them at all since they don't really heat up the block all that much. Helps starting since the oil is less thick but you could resolve that by using winter grade oil..

/ Magnetic block heater mounting?
What is the better solution? Assuming the truck was hot when plugged in how much heat would the block retain overnight?

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #4  
They will only heat up the oil with very minimal heat going into the block.

The better solution is to have a coolant engine block heater which is inside of the engine ( there is a blank plug for one on most cars).
This heats up the block and coolant.

Second best option is an inline coolant heater which goes between the rad and engine essentially...

The best possible solution is to have a heated blanket on the battery with an onboard tender, engine oil pan heater (stick on type), engine coolant heater and transmission Heater (also a stick-on type).

I have this set up on my tractor which uses one plug in the front which charges and warms the battery, and transmission.

And another plug on the other side for the engine block heater, oil and coolant.
I'm thinking of running a third line with another outlet to put a rear dif heater on there.. maybe interior cab heater..

The way I set it up is to have the battery heated and maintained (helps the most to start the engine) on all the time (in winter time) while the other heaters are on thermostats..

If I only had one option for a heater I would use a battery heater... if the engine is started it will get hot over time...

A hot engine with a battery that can't crank it, isn't as harmful imho..

/ Magnetic block heater mounting?
It rarely gets cold enough that the batteries won't crank. Cab heater would be nice.

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #6  
I use magnetic heaters on my tractor transmission, but remove them prior to using the tractor. I guess it could be left on while driving your truck.
As far as location, the bottom of the pan would be best. Some heat will rise to the block, but as others have mentioned a coolant heater is much more effective.

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #7  
shui5612 covered it well. I'll add one detail regarding a heater between radiator and engine. Be sure it go's in lower hose,not very effective in upper.
Is there not a factory installed heater on the engine? Those are more effecirnt than add ons.

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #8  
A little tinky winky magnetic heater is only good to make sure that the any water in the oil pan is not frozen.
Batteries should have a heating pad underneath. A battery maintenance charger and the coolant this heater when both banks of a V8 require warming. Forced Flow Circulation Heaters | Phillips & Temro Industries

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #9  
the magnetic heater will do virtually nothing in very cold weather

just get a block heater installed. Or install it yourself.

run 0 weight oil.

Done.

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #10  
We don't get as much sub zero weather here in KY as y'all do up north and I find that the magnetic heater makes the little Kioti engine turn over a easier on twenty degree mornings. Of course that small an engine doesn't take much to warm. Anyway it is just my opinion that if heated even a little the oil will circulate and start lubricating a little quicker than if cold.

RSKY