DK40 cranking but not starting

/ DK40 cranking but not starting #1  

bullebak

Bronze Member
Tractor
Daedong DK40
Yesterday I was happily spraying 200l of noxious weed poison and decided to take a break halfway. But on return it refused to start. Parked in the middle of the driveway (slighty downhill) blocking all traffic.

I was thinking of towing the tractor with my car (to near the shed), but I think the tractor will be pulling the car down the hill instead...

Crankshaft turning, engine not starting.
Fuel in tank.
Glowplugs appear to be working normally.

I have a service manual, and intend to check out the fuel delivery today, but I am not experienced with this.

Anyone can give me a hint where to start looking?

Thanks,
Tony.

/ DK40 cranking but not starting #2  
Safety switches have been known to go bad on other makes. Common locations are clutch (if your tractor has one) and under the seat. Sometimes wiring gets pulled out by brush.

/ DK40 cranking but not starting #3  
How have you determined if the Glow Plugs are "working normally"?

When cranking the engine are you seeing white smoke from the exhaust? Or no smoke?? (No smoke - No fuel delivery.)

Is the engine rotating at a sufficient speed for combustion? Slow cranking (Weak battery, weak starter, ??) will cause a 'No start' symptom.

/ DK40 cranking but not starting
How have you determined if the Glow Plugs are "working normally"?

When cranking the engine are you seeing white smoke from the exhaust? Or no smoke?? (No smoke - No fuel delivery.)

Is the engine rotating at a sufficient speed for combustion? Slow cranking (Weak battery, weak starter, ??) will cause a 'No start' symptom.

Glow Plugs indicator light works as per normal.
Normal healthy cranking, no smoke, no firing, looks likes no fuel delivery.

PS:
Today the car pulled the tractor to a more servicable spot (usually its the other way around...). Had a good look for anything obvious but nothing suspicious to be seen. Still won't fire up.

/ DK40 cranking but not starting #5  
What type of engine stop does that have?
A pull cable, has it slipped and not returning to the run position?
Electrical solenoid, is it activating and moving the fuel stop?

/ DK40 cranking but not starting #6  
I had the same problem with my CK20. Cost me a couple hundred dollars for the dealer to come and get it, diagnose the problem, and replace a $0.53 fuse. Check your fuse box.

RSKY

/ DK40 cranking but not starting #7  
My 2006 DK45 stripped some gears in the injector pump...likely the most expensive of the several possible causes of your non-starting issue. You can hope it is a bad solenoid, blown fuse or even a clogged filter!

/ DK40 cranking but not starting
My 2006 DK45 stripped some gears in the injector pump...likely the most expensive of the several possible causes of your non-starting issue. You can hope it is a bad solenoid, blown fuse or even a clogged filter!

STUDYING THE SERVICE MANUL
None of the fuel delivery components appear to be powered electrically, and no fuse is mentioned related to this.

Flow looks to be in the following order:

1. Fuel Tank
2. Fuel Feed Pump (7 on the diagram)
3. Fuel Filter (2 on the diagram)
4. Injection Pump (3 on the diagram)
5. Injection Pipes (4 on the diagram)
6. Injection Nozzles (5 on the diagram)
7. Fuel Overflow Pipe back to Fuel Tank (6 on the diagram)

(Diagram attached - see page 2-15)

Q1: If I disconnect the fuel pipe from the fuel filter (or remove the filter element), should fuel be flowing out during cranking?
Q2: Disconnecting the fuel pipe or removing filter element would surely introduce air into the fuel system?

If no flow, the prime suspect would be Fuel Feed Pump.

Have to do this outside in the sun at +40c, so preparing as best as I can :)

Attachments

• Chap 2-1 engine.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 104
   / DK40 cranking but not starting #9  
The fuel feed pump is a low pressure pump that pulls fuel from the tank and sends it to the injection pump.
Yours is mechanical. Some are electric. If it's failed your engine would not start. Seems unlikely given the symptoms of running fine until being shut down. But your test to check for fuel flowing would check it. Is there a troubleshooting section of the manual?

Your filter seems to have an automatic air return to the tank. On my tractors there's been a manual air bleed screw. Air in the fuel system would cause the tractor to not run, or run poorly if it's in only one or two cylinder lines.

/ DK40 cranking but not starting #10  
This situation will turn out to be something simple. Don't go tearing things apart looking for ghosts as you will cause far more problems than you solve.

Last page in the engine manual. Lever 19. Make certain it is moving in the Off and On positions. Cables have been known to slip and then not push lever 19 to the On position.

The mechanical lift pump on your tractor may be there to deal with low fuel levels in the fuel tank and going up or down hills. In all other circumstances, gravity delivers fuel to the injection pump.

Is part of your fuel tank above the level of the injection pump?

It may be that your fuel level was marginal for needing the lift pump with fuel sloshing around and getting sucked up. Once you stopped the tractor the level became to low to get a re start.

There is usually a lever or button on the lift pump to allow you to operate it manually to prime the filer and lines up to the injection pump.

Fill the fuel tank completely. Remove the intake line at the injection pump and see if a steady flow of fuel comes out just sitting with no cranking. If no fuel comes out, see if there is a manual way to operate the lift pump. If there is, then pump and see if now fuel comes out the line feeding the injection pump.

If there is fuel to the injection pump, then either lever 19 is not in the correct position or your system is full of air and needs to be bleed.

It is not a safety switch problem as the engine is cranking. Further, lever 19 is manually operated not controlled by an engine stop solenoid. This is not electrical!

Dave M7040