Straps vs chains - trailering

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #11  
Don’t need one. If a label is absent they have a chart based on strap size.
Driver's Handbook on Cargo Securement - Chapter 2: General Cargo Securement Requirements | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

That being said chains are far better. Straps will work but chains last practically forever and won’t fray or get abrasion damage like straps do.

Local and/or State requirements may exceed the federal ones. Key is making the cargo part of the truck/trailer so it cannot shift separately. Nothing worse than the cargo moving a different direction than the vehicle. Moving cargo can create forces greater than tie downs are rated for. Seeing cargo flying through the walls of an enclosed truck is an eye opener.

Ron

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #12  
But if not marked, the rating from the chart is often considerably lower, just like for chains.

Bruce

Agreed but with a 2,300 lb tractor OP is unlikely to exceed the rating unless he is using some tiny straps.

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #14  
I swapped to chains from 15,000lbs rated straps after some non-sharp corners on the bumper of my 3,000lbs L3200 cut the straps half way through. It only took a 15 minute ride on some gravel road. You can strap things down better so there is usually only metal hooks on metal, but not always. I find chain safer.

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #15  
I swapped to chains from 15,000lbs rated straps after some non-sharp corners on the bumper of my 3,000lbs L3200 cut the straps half way through. It only took a 15 minute ride on some gravel road. You can strap things down better so there is usually only metal hooks on metal, but not always. I find chain safer.

Where did you find 15,000lbs rated straps? They must have been a foot wide. Most 4" straps used on semis are only rated for 5,400 lbs.

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #16  
Where did you find 15,000lbs rated straps? They must have been a foot wide. Most 4" straps used on semis are only rated for 5,400 lbs.

It was probably breaking strength not working load. There's a big difference.

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #17  
It was probably breaking strength not working load. There's a big difference.

Thats a big problem with straps. The basic 2" yellow ratchet straps you see everywhere are commonly advertised as 10,000lb. That is the breaking strength but the rated WLL is usually 3,333 lb. Every Joe Blow off the street buys them and thinks they are good for 10,000 lbs of securement.

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #18  
Thats a big problem with straps. The basic 2" yellow ratchet straps you see everywhere are commonly advertised as 10,000lb. That is the breaking strength but the rated WLL is usually 3,333 lb. Every Joe Blow off the street buys them and thinks they are good for 10,000 lbs of securement.
They are 4" straps, some had 15,000lbs printed on them. As I was strapping down a 3,500lbs with 4 of em I wasn't to picky. They may very well only gave a WLL of 5k lbs.

I stopped using them because if the cuts on the straps from non-sharp corners. The rating on the straps are irelevant if they are partially or completely cut through. MUCH harder to cut chain in half even if you are using it on sharp edges.

You'd probably be fine if you could guarantee that the straps wouldn't ever come into contact with any corners. But with different impliments & attachment points sometimes that's not possible.

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #19  
My tractor with BH & FEL weighs about 3200# and I have used the typical 3333# straps any time I've hauled it so far. I typically strap to the rear axles and either the front axle, or the loader mount which is bolted to the frame. 1 strap on each corner, and a smaller strap over the FEL and 1 strap over the BH bucket. I haven't had any issues with any coming loose yet. I also typically haul well within 30 minutes of home on rural roads but I wouldn't hesitate to travel further with this set up on major highways, etc. As long as you inspect your straps frequently and take good care of them, including storage, they should be fine.

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #20  
They make straps where the last foot(tie down) is chain pricey?, i too have had the cut strap issue and use only chains on the loader. However lighter loads use the straps. Still an issue cutting the straps. straps are nice,don't cut or damage the load, but get cut. Chains don't get cut but damage the load. Both chains and straps do have there place.