NRMA (Australia) won't insure Kubota

/ NRMA (Australia) won't insure Kubota #1  

kenlip

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100 with Challenge FEL and 4:1
I took delivery of an MX5100 yesterday.

My wife called the NRMA (a major Australian motoring body and a MAJOR insurer), to try to organise insurance. We have four car policies, our house contents and a small life policy with them, most of which we have had for around 30 years.

The lady on the phone told my wife that they do not insure Kubota. No reason given - just a point blank refusal to insure Kubota brand products.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be the case? Has anyone had any problems like this with Kubota or another brand?

Ken

/ NRMA (Australia) won't insure Kubota #2  
The only thing that I can suggest is to contact the NSW rego department... they may be able to suggest for 3rd party insurance. It depends on the State.

Here in Tassie, if you register your tractor (plate it) then, as part of your rego, MIAB 3rd party insurance is part of it... actually it's the most expensive part of the rego.

However, I looked up tractor registration requirements (in Tassie, of course) and found that registration is not required as long as you don't travel more than 15 kilometres from where it's 'garaged'! So I don't register my tractor and the local constabulary have done nothing but give me a friendly wave.

As to insuring it in case it gets nicked, all I can suggest is adding it to your home & contents insurance; like you would an out-building or your tools.

Note: I did a quick Google search and tractor thefts (not including lawn tractors) in Tassie are virtually nonexistent. Where are they going to take them? We live on an island. :laughing:

/ NRMA (Australia) won't insure Kubota
Thanks, Wagtail.

The tractor is on a property we are hoping to use to build a 'weekender'. I live in Sydney, so it would be a bit hard to add it to my home insurance.

I have no intention of taking the tractor onto public roads, so need to rego or get third-party cover. All I want is cover against theft, fire and damage.

I just called the NRMA. Spoke to a very friendly lady in India. She took all the details of the tractor, then said someone will contact me on Wednesday (the day after Boxing Day) to let me know the outcome. Apparently, the query has to be forwarded to the sales department who then check with the underwriting department.

Having heard what my wife experienced, I decided to delve further. I asked her if any Kubota products are listed on her database. None are. John Deere? - nothing. Massey Ferguson? - nothing. Turns out the only database she can see is the car one!

Perhaps my wife misunderstood the person with whom she spoke, or the person didn't understand that the database was only for cars and that NO tractor brands are listed on it and therefore there was no chance of her finding Kubota listed.

The lady in India told me that she has done one tractor insurance, and that was for an Hyundai tractor.

Cheers
Ken

/ NRMA (Australia) won't insure Kubota #4  
You will probably want to look at a "farm package" type of insurance policy - you will have fences, livestock, tractor and other machinery, water pumps, sheds, etc., as well as public liability cover for the people that wander on to your land (or visit legitimately). The best idea is to call around to both the large companies and some insurance brokers. We were insured with Allianz for a fair while, but premiums were on the up and up and they turned down a couple of legitimate claims for fusion on pumps after finding some insane fine print, so looked around for quotes and found some of the well known names don't seem keen on farms (judging by the premiums they ask for!). We are now insured through a broker with an international company whose name I forget but with a lower premium and simpler to understand policy that appears to cover what the previous one did not.
It is worth tallying up what you have on the property (or will have within the life of the policy) and make sure it is covered to the extent that you need. We make sure to list high value items of equipment specifically as well as the usual general "contents" catch-all (things like chainsaws, generators, etc., to save arguments later).

You will probably want to look at a "farm package" type of insurance policy - <SNIP>.

That makes a lot of sense. We'll investigate that option once the festive season ends.

Thanks
Ken

Does KTAC insure their tractors downunder? I could not beat their price here in Yankee country. Ask your dealer for the details.

Ron

I told the dealer about the problem. He never mentioned KTAC insurance, so I assume it is not available here.

Ken

/ NRMA (Australia) won't insure Kubota #8  
We have 18 acres here in the states. Was easier to get a farm policy. Trying to get a 途egular homeowners to cover everything was a pain. Farm policy was not that much more $$.

Call a broker that does a lot of work in farm country. Even if you just need the tractor covered now once the house is built you will need more.

UPDATE:
NRMA have a Farm Insurance Policy that covers structures on the property, small equipment, tractors, etc. They had no objection to insuring the Kubota.

The conversation for this transaction was with someone in Australia, not someone in a call centre in India. Perhaps that allowed the person more authority to make the necessary decisions.

Ken