Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I have always used Stanadyne Performance Formula year round as a fuel additive and anti-gel. I have also bought my fuel at the same truck stop for over 15 years and trust thier fuel. Well today I plugged the filter - never happened before. It was cold, minus 5 F and the tractor soaked at minus 22 all night. In trying to figure what happened I notice that the Stanadyne spec states that the plugged filter temp is reduced by 25* F. I never realized that was all. So I guess all these years I have been unknowingly relying on the fuel blender to help winterize the fuel.

Anyway the question - Stanadyne says use a 500:1 ratio, temperature independent. My question is, if I use a lower ratio will I get a larger temperature reduction ?? I ask because I see Power Service instructs you to double the additive below 0 degrees F. However PS does not publish (that I can find ) how much temperature reduction you get by using it. That would be good to know too. Thanks

gg

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #2  
I have never heard of this stanadyne stuff. I always use howes and power service and have always had good luck with it. I used to pull dedicated government loads to denver, co and out across Wyoming. That is what we used. I also use it in my tractors. Yeah, I've been known to mix my supplement rich, but don't known if it really helps out much. Another trick, (You gotta be careful you don't blow something up) use kerosene and unleaded gasoline. Put about 5 gallons of kerosene to 100 gallons of fuel. Or add about 1 gallon of unlead gasoline to 100 gallons of diesel fuel. Then stir up your fuel. This works to keep you thinned down and running. DON'T get you mix ratios wrong on your kerosene and gasoline or you run a chance of blowing something up. It is the season for diesel fuel delivery system issue. My old allis Chalmers tractor gave me trouble yesterday. Tinkered with it, put a fuel filter on it and finally got it going.

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #3  
When was the last time you FILLED up and was it a 100% fill? (i.e 40 gallons in a 40 gallon tank, not just topping off). Or how much of your fuel was winterized for your area?

My only "plugged" filter experience was when I filled my diesel Rabbit up in coastal New Jersey, drove to Fletcher, Vermont and parked it overnight. 40 below made the remaining half tank gell. Added kero/diesel, worked well thereafter.

If your tank was at -22 doubling might have saved it. Get some Diesel 911 for the next time.

What were you burning it in? Some vehicles (VW TDI I know of) are REAL sensitive to gasoline, kero is not so bad.

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #4  
Power Service has 3 different bottles,
Grey Bottle is for Summer
White Bottle is for Winter
Red Bottle is for Gelled Diesel

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down
It is my Kubota M5640. I refueled to full about a week before Christmas. I have been using it steady all fall until the holidays and cold spell. I am not sure but wonder if the fuel blenders did not anticipate this early cold snap. I think they winterize in steps or maybe I forgot to put the stuff in but I don't think so. We are having end of Jan weather not end of Dec.

I plan on using the 911 cure. Fill the filter bowl 50:50 fuel and 911. I

I just want to know if anyone might know if a bigger dose of Stanadyne will winterize to a lower temperature than the standard dose since I have plenty and that is what is in there and it seems it should. I also wonder why Power Service does not publish a fuel cloud or gell spec.

gg

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #6  
Gordon they don't recommend a bigger dose . Do they not sell something just for winter? When I had gel problems in the past with my backhoe I would just dump some kerosene in the tank (quart for 40 gal.)to solve the problem. I don't think your supplier had winter fuel for those temps. I personally only buy summer fuel because I don't want to be running into summer with winter fuel in my bulk tank has noticeably less power when I'm roading my backhoe and less power on the hills with my tractor. The for extreme cold around here is straight kerosene at the pumps.

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #7  
I have never heard of this stanadyne stuff. I always use howes and power service and have always had good luck with it. I used to pull dedicated government loads to denver, co and out across Wyoming. That is what we used. I also use it in my tractors. Yeah, I've been known to mix my supplement rich, but don't known if it really helps out much. Another trick, (You gotta be careful you don't blow something up) use kerosene and unleaded gasoline. Put about 5 gallons of kerosene to 100 gallons of fuel. Or add about 1 gallon of unlead gasoline to 100 gallons of diesel fuel. Then stir up your fuel. This works to keep you thinned down and running. DON'T get you mix ratios wrong on your kerosene and gasoline or you run a chance of blowing something up. It is the season for diesel fuel delivery system issue. My old allis Chalmers tractor gave me trouble yesterday. Tinkered with it, put a fuel filter on it and finally got it going.

Stanadyne is a widely known, and accepted diesel additive.

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #8  
I'm going to look around and see if I can find some. It maybe a situation where once howes, or once power service I didn't really look around. Just bought what I was after, and didn't look to see what else was on the shelf.

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #9  
How much biodiesel do you have there?? Here in Oregon it is B5minumin may go to B7 with some stations "Being Green" and selling the worthless B20 (the state is forgiving the state road taxes on it) and people have no clue and wondering why their diesels are running crappy with poor mileage and water settling in the filters. The bio part of the diesel has a low cloud point.

David

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #10  
How much biodiesel do you have there?? Here in Oregon it is B5minumin may go to B7 with some stations "Being Green" and selling the worthless B20 (the state is forgiving the state road taxes on it) and people have no clue and wondering why their diesels are running crappy with poor mileage and water settling in the filters. The bio part of the diesel has a low cloud point.

David
Ive always been a little Leary of bio-diesel. Just staying with petroleum based fuel. I'm not a guy who is big on change. What are the pros and cons of bio-diesel???