First Maintenance Job ?

/ First Maintenance Job ? #1  

rba901

Tractor
Kubota L35 Cub Cadet (Lawns)
Hi All,

Being new to tractor ownership I need some help in understanding what I should do when buying a second hand machine (hopefully picking up a Kubota L35 tomorrow).

The tractor has 1250hrs, very original condition, it been left outside with last owner, thus looks a bit weather in the exposed parts. I have had it inspected and did get a pretty good bill of health, though weather hoses, broken lights, rusty exhaust were noted.

The advice I was given was that I should just start using it and see how it goes, then if things break, fix them. Is this a good way to approach it?

My experience for owning cars is that I should do an oil change with new filters, change dodgy looking radiator hoses etc...

My plan for the machine is clearing and landscaping around the house, so nothing commercial.

I am pretty excited about the whole exercise and keen to give the L35 some love and a shed to sleep in rather than out in the elements.

Cheers Ben

/ First Maintenance Job ? #2  
My preference is to clean the machine and do a complete fluid and filter service (oil, fuel, trans/hyd, coolant). While cleaning I get a better idea of what may be a problem now or in the future.
The overall service may cost several hundred bucks, but with unknown service history it is money well spent. Enjoy your new tractor!

/ First Maintenance Job ? #3  
^^^^^

In addition, I would go ahead and address the hoses and exhaust and test or change the battery.

/ First Maintenance Job ? #4  
change the fluids and let the rough side drag. Fix what breaks.

/ First Maintenance Job ? #5  
Hi All,

Being new to tractor ownership I need some help in understanding what I should do when buying a second hand machine (hopefully picking up a Kubota L35 tomorrow).

The tractor has 1250hrs, very original condition, it been left outside with last owner, thus looks a bit weather in the exposed parts. I have had it inspected and did get a pretty good bill of health, though weather hoses, broken lights, rusty exhaust were noted.

The advice I was given was that I should just start using it and see how it goes, then if things break, fix them. Is this a good way to approach it?

My experience for owning cars is that I should do an oil change with new filters, change dodgy looking radiator hoses etc...

My plan for the machine is clearing and landscaping around the house, so nothing commercial.

I am pretty excited about the whole exercise and keen to give the L35 some love and a shed to sleep in rather than out in the elements.

Cheers Ben

Sounds like a great little tractor. If it runs OK now, then chances are it will continue doing the same for a long, long time. Doing all the maintenance is partly for the tractor and partly for you - so you are starting from a known position and with some familiarity with the machine. Plus I bet you'll find at least a couple of things that leave you shaking your head and go directly to the top of the "to be done" list.

BTW, speaking of the "to be done" list..... Scatch paper notes on the back of envelopes just don't cut it. You'll thank yourself if you start today keeping a regular wire bound notebook and log everything in there.

I'd start the maintenance by washing it real well everywhere. Well, almost everywhere. When you clean the radiator fins be sure to use LOW PRESSURE water like from a garden hose along with soap and a very soft brush. Tractors tend to plug their radiators. A pressure washer there can ruin the fins. Same goes for around instruments, switches, and under the dash.

I'd go ahead and purchase all the oils and filters - probably go with genuine Kubota at least for the first time. Depending on which hydraulic or transmission fluid is recommended that is going to set you back a surprising amount. But then I'd set up a reasonable schedule - maybe over the next month or so - for getting them changed and feel good about using it during that period.

Hydraulic hoses can look horrid, but what counts is if they leak. The way they are constructed gives them a second line of defense. When they do leak, it is usually close to where the hose connects to a metal end fitting. I've never seen a radiator hose give up, but it would be a disaster if one did. I'd certainly replace any suspicious hoses. But I'd be OK with using them while I sourced the hoses as long as I checked for leaks fairly often.

You are going to need a few dedicated 5 gallon fuel containers. All of mine are yellow for diesel.The good ones have a top cap that doesn't leak. Today's low sulphur diesel fuel benefits from a diesel fuel additive. Your tractor was designed for a fuel that had more intrensic lubrication. It's winter, so get a winter non-gel additive too.

And a good grease gun as well. I use a clear to green universal grease. Yes, the black moly greases are probably better, but that black grease stains everything it touches. I have one gun specially for moly grease and only use it on the lower table pivot of the backhoe. That's a huge stress place on a hoe. You will go through a surprising amount of grease. Keep a list of which zerks won't take grease and be sure to get the joint to accept grease again. Sometimes it is the grease zerk. There may be many different kinds of zerks even on the same machine. Take the offending one along when you go to the dealer. Get a kit of several shapes if you can.

Hmm.... don't forget a good oil pan with a built in funnel and some kind of container to pour the used oil into?

Be sure today to get all the extras from the old owner - bags of bolts, operator & parts manual, any receipts....all that kind of stuff is priceless.

Good luck,
rScotty

/ First Maintenance Job ? #6  
Welcome to TBN and congrats on your new tractor !! All good advice above. There is no way to get to know your new machine like doing a little maintenance. Have fun.

gg

/ First Maintenance Job ? #7  
My preference is to clean the machine and do a complete fluid and filter service (oil, fuel, trans/hyd, coolant). While cleaning I get a better idea of what may be a problem now or in the future.
!

Great advice. I like my machines clean, but cleaning is just a maintenance step. I've found many small issues while poking around that could have become big issues.

One thing with hyd hoses. When one fails from age (not damage), just bite the bullet and replace them all. The one failure is a warning. The others will need replaced, one at a time, over the next couple of years. And they will always fail on Sunday and far from the house.

/ First Maintenance Job ? #8  
Welcome to TBN. Agree with changing all fluids. Change hydraulic and oil filter. I would also change the fuel filter after you run the first tank of fuel down and put fresh clean fuel in it. Inspect air filters. Good advice above regarding hydraulic hoses. Also, not sure it was mentioned above, but I bet it was---fresh lube on everything that needs it.

/ First Maintenance Job ? #9  
Don't forget the antifreeze. Both the Yanmar engines I have gone thru had pitting on the lower part of the liners because folks neglect the antifreeze. All the goodness that comes in that antifreeze jug doesn't last forever!!

/ First Maintenance Job ? #10  
I bought a '45 ford 2n, First thing I did was check the fluids. I found the oil bath filter completely filled with sand/silt. This led me to completely go thru the oil systems and clean out chunks of silt. I used it for what I needed, and got rid of it. My thoughts were that I was going to end up re-sleeving it, (which I knew already) and likely deal with hydraulic issues, wiring issues, and leaky bearings. NOT worth keeping long term.

Bad enough leaving it out in the weather, but no maintenance either was not good. If you aren't going to keep it in good shape, you probably didn't treat it well either..