Comfort Ride - new product by W.R. Long

/ Comfort Ride - new product by W.R. Long #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
Just wondered what everyone thinks of this new product by W. R. Long. The name is a bit deceptive as it's not something intended to directly improve the "ride" of your tractor, but it dampens the movements of the FEL as you traverse over (uneven) ground. The end result I suppose is that it could reduce the jerky movements of the tractor as you drive it over rough terrain, and help it ride a bit smoother. Their main selling point though seems to be that it reduces the wear and tear on the loader's mechanical joints, and maybe reduces the metal fatigue as well.

I think the theory behind it is good, but it would be nice if they could show a side by side comparison of two identical tractors, one with the system and one without the system, driving over the same terrain. I'm not thinking of buying one, mind you, but the hydraulic dampening technique just peaks my interest a bit. The suggested retail price of the CR10 is $425 and the suggested retail price of the CR20 is $475, if you're interested. :thumbsup:

W.R. Long, Inc. | Tarboro, NC

/ Comfort Ride - new product by W.R. Long #2  
Our large commercial TLB - a 16,000 lb yellow JD310SG - has that feature via a dashboard switch and it is just great. It changes the ride from like being on a rocking horse to being nice and smooth. It isn't a family sedan ride, but coupled with a well-suspended seat it comes closer than you would guess. Comfort Ride is especially nice when the bucket is full and the road is washboard.

So my hat is off to W. R. Long for offering that feature as an add-on for smaller tractors. I imagine it will reduce the wear on the FEL and the front axle pivots too, but the real bonus is the improved ride. Looks like a reasonable price, too. Thanks for posting about it.
rScotty

/ Comfort Ride - new product by W.R. Long #3  
Much of the work I did with our larger tractor involved transporting bucketloads of material over distances of maybe 300 to 600 feet. Just far enough that loading a trailer or dump truck wouldn't make sense, but long enough that you were making long transits back and forth at slow speeds. This would be a great addition for that kind of work, and you might even be able to operate at a little faster ground speed.

/ Comfort Ride - new product by W.R. Long #4  
Sure works well on my BH loader probably well worth the money for anyone doing a lot of loader work.

/ Comfort Ride - new product by W.R. Long
So it seems like the "Comfort Ride" is a legit feature to have on a loader when you do a lot of FEL work. Who knew, lol? Like I said, it's an interesting option to add to your tractor, but i don't use my loader enough to really justify it. Thanks for the feedback.

/ Comfort Ride - new product by W.R. Long #6  
WOW! So this may help reduce the "Backhoe Bounce". I might have to consider one for my NH575E.

/ Comfort Ride - new product by W.R. Long #7  
I got an email today from WR Long announcing this product. I did not even know they had my email, I don’t have WR Long products. I think there is some merit to this product depending on your use and characteristics of your land. ie how smooth your fields and roads are.

/ Comfort Ride - new product by W.R. Long #8  
My 310 SJ backhoe has this feature from the factory. You have to turn it off when using the loader or it has no power. There is a huge difference in driving down the road with it on. Bounce is reduced greatly. They call it ride control.

/ Comfort Ride - new product by W.R. Long #10  
John Deere has had this as an option in its mid-sized loaders for a while now. I agree-kudo's for WRL to start offering this for smaller machines.

Loader suspension system with on/off switch

Yes, at least on the surface the JD system and the WRL system look similar. The WRL picture at the link in the first message shows their comfort ride activated by a hand lever. Most of these damping systems use an electric solenoid and an on/off switch. I think I'd prefer that.