Hearing protection

/ Hearing protection #31  
Got a pair of these for xmas. Actually did get two... one for my wife. :D For the shooting range mainly but looking forward to how effective they are in the shop and on the tractor. I have a plain old pair of Peltor muffs but these have electronic noise canceling along with mic and audio input jack. Haven't had a chance to try them outside the living room yet. Only wish would be that it had bluetooth ability.

Amazon.com : Walker's Razor Slim Electronic Muff, Black : Sports & Outdoors

/ Hearing protection #32  
I have a pair of Peltor 85s, a pair of Peltor 105s and a Stihl face screen with integrated ear muffs. I do not know the dB rating of the Stihl set. I tend to favor the 85s when I am on my tractors so that I can still hear the equipment a little better than the 105s. Countless times I have heard what I think is an abnormal sound, rip off my ear muffs, throttle down only to find a plane overhead, an ultra lite or someone wanting my attention. You can still hear abnormal noises as long as you are in tune with your machine. My Kubotas are a little easier to hear over than my Masseys. For chainsaw I use the Stihl integrated unit. Wood splitter, lawn mower, etc. the 105s. I find I lose the foam in ear style, but I do believe they work well if installed correctly.

/ Hearing protection #33  
I wear leightning earmuffs unless it is cold enough to need a hat. Then I use the foam earplugs. I am very conscientious and wear them all the time on the tractor, chainsawing or in my workshop. I even wear them if I vacuum for the wife (I hate the sound of vacuum cleaners). I also bought child size earmuffs for the grandkids. If they are around grandpa and he is wearing his they have to wear theirs. One granddaughter calls them her ear puffs.

Doug in SW IA

/ Hearing protection
Thanks all for the input. I ordered some of the 3m over the head muffs and will see how I like them.

Between the whine of the hst and the sound of the back blade or fel scrapping ice, I suspect they'll help quite a bit.

/ Hearing protection #35  
I use soft foam earplugs (with a plastic cord tying them together)....you can pull them out and the cord lets them lie on your chest ready to go back in when needed. Sometimes I just tuck the ends under my shirt and have them available on a job incase I need them. Bought a box of 100 online for about $25 bucks years ago.

Then I have the 30dB pair of real, strap over the head, cupped plastic/foam I bought at Home Depot for about 25 bucks which work really good. On really tough jobs I use both.

/ Hearing protection #36  
I use a set of noise isolating bluetooth headphones. They are not rated for industry but I think they are perfect for me. I listen to SeriusXM radio through my phone using them. They reduce my stress after riding the tractor for 6-8 hours significantly. I can still hear well enough to tell if I hit something or if anything goes wrong. The best part is if the wife needs to tell me something she can just call me. I can hear her fine and give a hand signal yes or no. She obviously can't hear me because the microphone is out in the noise. But the battery lasts forever in these. For my use they are perfect. Here's a link: Amazon.com: Bluetooth Headphones, Alpatronix HX11 Universal HD Noise Isolating Wireless Stereo Headset with Built-in Mic, Volume/Playback Controls, AptX, CVC 6., BT 4.1 [3+ Hrs. of Playback Time] - Black: Electronics

/ Hearing protection #37  
I use a set of noise isolating bluetooth headphones. They are not rated for industry but I think they are perfect for me. I listen to SeriusXM radio through my phone using them. They reduce my stress after riding the tractor for 6-8 hours significantly. I can still hear well enough to tell if I hit something or if anything goes wrong. The best part is if the wife needs to tell me something she can just call me. I can hear her fine and give a hand signal yes or no. She obviously can't hear me because the microphone is out in the noise. But the battery lasts forever in these. For my use they are perfect. Here's a link: Amazon.com: Bluetooth Headphones, Alpatronix HX11 Universal HD Noise Isolating Wireless Stereo Headset with Built-in Mic, Volume/Playback Controls, AptX, CVC 6., BT 4.1 [3+ Hrs. of Playback Time] - Black: Electronics

Darn! Now, I wish I would have bought my tractor stereo with Bluetooth. Technology just blows my old brain away. My tractor cab is quite but Bluetooth headphones would be great on the backhoe. I could still listen to my tunes but still have hearing protection. I no longer have the volume so high as to melt out my earwax...just a pleasant, lower volume.

/ Hearing protection #38  

I bought a pair of these and really like them, Bluetooth, AM/FM with actual rated noise protection. Lets me listen to podcasts or football games while mowing and much less comfortable that earbuds under muffs. A rechargeable battery-pack is available, but I like the triple A option, decent life and one less this to remember to charge.

Safety Works Bluetooth Headset for All Devices - Retail Packaging - - Amazon.com

/ Hearing protection #39  
I use the squishy foam disposable from work. Company doesn't care if we grab a handful or two for personal use since it's a very low cost safety item. They work pretty well for shooting or chainsaw or other loud stuff. For what they are, they're very good. Compared to the orange foam ones from HF or the older flanged rubber type the Army gave us there is a noticeable difference in sound suppression.

I hate muffs since I'm always wearing a hat - either to keep sun off or to stay warm. I always found them uncomfortable too so if I had them, I'd often neglect them for comfort/convenience. The squishy in-ear type don't bother me at all.

/ Hearing protection #40  
Hearing protection? How about whole head protection! I own a Yanmar 424 open station tractor and do a lot of work in the woods or around trees. I learned rather by chance just how useful a hardhat like this is:

hardhat.jpg

Not only do I have hearing protection with easy off-and-on convenience, the hat and face shield has saved me multiple times from tree limbs. The face shield is up most of the time, but I drop it down over my safety glasses when I drive into any thicket or area of low branches.

Two days ago it saved me again when doing a pivot maneuver on my backhoe: I went a little too fast and the tractor listed (to use a nautical term) quickly, swinging the ROPS right into the side of my head. Didn't bother me one bit, just a little "thunk" and I kept going. Would have been a nasty headache at best without the hat/muffs.

Finally, the muffs keep my ears warm on cold days. Best $25 bucks I've ever spent. Now I hardly drive my tractor without it.

20171001_175001.jpg