Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Katie (Wife), Heather, Mariah, Alyson,Gianna, Kaelyn

Default Re: Hearing protection

I do not consider operating my tractor to be loud enough to warrant hearing protection, but with my bulldozer I typically do. That engine kind of has a "bark" to it, so I always have a pair of earmuffs in the glove compartment.

My skidder however cannot be operated without hearing protection...it is loud, and it has a very "shrill" sound to it. because a skidder typically is used only for logging, I have a hard hat with ear muffs attached to it so that I can fend off widow-makers.

Tractor
    JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R

Quote Originally Posted by Einthewoods View Post
    What? Huh? Speak up, I have ringing in my ears.

For those of you who wear some sort of hearing protection while operating your tractor, what do you wear (brand/model)?

Thanks! You may now return your tv volume to its normal level.
    I carry the full ear muffs on my tractor and carry ear muffs combined with face shield on my chipper/shredder. When using the chipper/shredder, I also wear some very long, fur-lined leather gloves (bought at Lowes). Once had a pair of hand pruners hurled back out at me from some leaves that I'd dribbled into the hopper of the shredder. The face shield and long gloves give some protection against such stuff.

I never found that ear plugs work worth a ****. Ear muffs are much better ear protection. I've had stapedectomies in both ears and want to protect them.

Ralph
    The natural gardener
    God's original intent

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Branson 3725H

I used the 3M Peltor muffs today while grappling brush. They're really nice! They're comfortable and much better at reducing sound than my old ones. I got the 28db ones.

Tractor
    Kubota, Massey, Iseki

Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    I used the 3M Peltor muffs today while grappling brush. They're really nice! They're comfortable and much better at reducing sound than my old ones. I got the 28db ones.
    I agree, I can wear the Peltor muffs all day without them bothering me.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3301

Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    Peltor makes a good product, I have a pair on my hardhat to use when running my chainsaw. Not only are they top line, butyou can replace the soft parts when they get tired.

Tractor
    Kubota L3301

I ended up getting a pair of the 3m peltors (yellow). Have used them once and they were great. Thanks for the many recommendations.

Positive side affect was that it was 15 degrees out and my ears were warm.

Of course I have forgot all about them the next two times I was on the tractor. I'd leave them on the seat, but then I would be putting ice blocks on my head. I think I will put a note on the steering wheel.

Tractor
    Kubota BX-25D, Z122RKW-42, and JD LTR166 Lawn Tractor

Just did a little unscientific test with my 25+ year plain old Peltor muffs vs. my new Walker Razor electronic muffs. Noise culprit was my cheap HF 4 1/2in grinder. There was no discernible difference to my ears between them (Walker muffs turned off). When I turned on the Walker's it got louder as the microphone picked up the noise. I guess this proves there is no point in using my Walker's in my shop since I am there solo. I am though looking forward to using my new Walkers at the range with others though. I am going to have to do a similar comparison the next time at the range.

Hearing protection-img_4194-jpg

And you all thought I was a staunch orange guy! Well pretty much I am... my old JD rider is in my shop while I try to figure the electrical issue. Subject for another thread but I think I isolated it to the starter solenoid. Should have a new one in two days via Amazon Prime. BTW, cheaper and faster than greenpartstore.com in this case.

Tractor
    LS XR 3135HC

Quote Originally Posted by Einthewoods View Post
    I ended up getting a pair of the 3m peltors (yellow). Have used them once and they were great. Thanks for the many recommendations.

Positive side affect was that it was 15 degrees out and my ears were warm.

Of course I have forgot all about them the next two times I was on the tractor. I'd leave them on the seat, but then I would be putting ice blocks on my head. I think I will put a note on the steering wheel.
    You need to make Safety a habit. Do it religiously for a few weeks and soon it will become second nature. Keep at it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345