3-Point Hitch New holland 3930 top link latch ??

/ New holland 3930 top link latch ?? #1  

AlbertC

Silver Member
Tractor
New holland 3930
I don't seem to be able to close the latch on the top link of my tractor. The sleeve turns easily on the threaded rod but I think I should be able to close the latch down against the sleeve to lock it in place and I can't. I can move the latch from open to about half way closed but this is as far as it seems to want to go before binding up.

Also I think you are supposed to be able to change the linkage category of the top link end by unscrewing the implement end of the top link. When I try to do this, my implement end is bound up and doesn't turn.

I put some oil down between the implement end and the sleeve in an attempt to loosen everything up but it hasn't helped. Anybody have any ideas about what is wrong or what I can do to free up the latch so that it will close?

Thanks.

/ New holland 3930 top link latch ?? #2  
Sounds like corrosion to me. Use PB blaster, Kroil or even WD and let it soak then work spray work soak and so forth. You can always just buy a new top link, they don't cost much.

/ New holland 3930 top link latch ?? #3  
Is this one of the NH top links that has a FLAT portion on the thread rod? If so the latch will only latch if the flat part is lined up with the latch. You should be able to spin BOTH ends out and grease.

Now, if the top link has the flat section and you forced the latch, you could have damaged the threads so it WON'T turn.

/ New holland 3930 top link latch ?? #4  
There are so many different top links across all the makes that a picture would really help.
Personally, I really like Fluid Film on the threads and balls of the links.

/ New holland 3930 top link latch ?? #5  
A lot of toplinks have the threads deformed at the ends so that they will NOT turn all the way, that's to prevent someone from lengthening them out and dropping an implement.

/ New holland 3930 top link latch ??
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Here are some pictures

/ New holland 3930 top link latch ?? #7  
can you lengthen that toplink? it is definitely shortened up all the way in those pics, is the lower section screwed in as far as the upper?

/ New holland 3930 top link latch ??
I can't turn the top part of the top link at all. It seems like it is bound up. The bottom half turns freely.

/ New holland 3930 top link latch ?? #9  
OK, that makes sense, a pipe wrench on the middle section ( the sleeve) and a long bar in the eye of the top section,turn it in the opposite direction the bottom does to lengthen, or take it off the tractor and put it in a vice to work on it.

/ New holland 3930 top link latch ?? #10  

I'm pretty sure That the top link type I was talking about. There is a flat portion on the threads that is the ONLY place the latch is to be secured on. You've engaged the latch when the flat part of the thread was in the wrong place and ruined the threads.

1) Remove top link
2) open the latch
3) unscrew the free end and remove
3) Spray PB blaster or similar on threads and spray oil dump the barrel (where you removed the other end)
4) Take Two pipe wrenches or large vice and one pipe wrench attempt to spin the bad end out (it turned DIFFERENT than the other end i.e. onside is LH thread, the other RH)
5) Once you get it passed the damaged threads it should come easy.
6) touch up threads with thread file.

By the way....BTDT one someone else's NH and I had to fix it....