Pouring concrete in the cold

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX 7320
I really need to pour some concrete in the next couple days. Not a big area about 6遅12? This is the forecast.

A53D48D6-82D5-4B0E-A8B1-6F327DC96AC5.jpeg

Never poured when below freezing temperatures were forecast. What precautions do I need to take?

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #2  
I really need to pour some concrete in the next couple days. Not a big area about 6�12? This is the forecast.

View attachment 536849

Never poured when below freezing temperatures were forecast. What precautions do I need to take?

You should not pour it on a surface which is frozen. Sometimes you have to make an enclosure and heat it to thaw the granulars and soil.

You need to order the concrete heated i.e. made with hot water so when it arrives on the job site it is protected for a while.

Concrete generates heat as it cures, but a limited amount when the slab is thin

You need to have a 6' high wind barrier in place to stop wind sweeping across the surface. I would consider insulating the forms in some fashion. Often straw is used.

You need to have insulated tarps on hand. Essentially like bubble wrap in tarp form. Put them over the surface as soon as finishing is completed.

If it is going to be very cold, the tarps should be elevated above the concrete and heat added to the enclosure.

Do NOT use an open flame heater as they produce CO2 which is harmful to the quality of the concrete.

You need to keep the concrete above freezing for at least 7 days, preferably more as the curing time is 28

The sooner you stop keeping the concrete warm, the curing process stops until the temp rises so it will not have its full strength.

You need to have a way to monitor the temp within the enclosure so if things are starting to get close to freezing temps, you can take more drastic action.

Leave the forms on as long as possible to protect the concrete edges.

Only on large projects would pouring in cold weather be done to stay on schedule. It involves risks and extra costs to wait for a break in the weather.
This link would be a good reference:

Cold Weather Concreting

Dave M7040

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #3  
Assuming you are pouring a thin slab.
Do not place concrete on frozen surface.
The day before you place concrete ,cover the area with plastic.
After you pour the concrete, cover it with blankets or straw and plastic.
We remove protection usually at seven days after pour.

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #4  
Dave M7040 pretty well covered it.
If you have the skills or manpower most concrete plants have mixes that will cure much faster than 28 days. We often use mixes for 10 days or less. Their not bad in cold weather. Some can even go way faster. You have to ask what the plant can do.
WARNING FAST SET UP MIXES SET UP FAST ! This can get you in a lot of trouble fast if your not prepared and ready to go with skills / help.

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #5  
Bdog
DaveM comments are correct but over kill for your weather forecast.
You could probably pour concrete with no protection and have no problems with your forecast. Slight protection is all you need

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #6  
Wish the OP would have told us what he was pouring. Forms are much different than slabs

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #7  
My son works for a fencing contractor. I had never heard of this but they mix antifreeze in the concrete when it is freezing. Of course they are only setting fence posts. not doing slab work.

/ Pouring concrete in the cold
Thanks guys. It was a slab. 6' x12' x 18" thick. Certainly didn't need to be that thick but the concrete company has a 4 yard minimum and I have an excavator so why not. Truck didn't arrive until 2PM today. We got it poured but when it was getting dark it was still not set as hard as I would like. I went ahead and did the broom finish but it was a little too wet. We bought a a 12x25 insulating concrete blanket and doubled it up and put it over the pour. We will see. The finishing didn't go as well as I had hoped in these cooler temps. Normally we pour in the summer and it is all you can do to finish before it is too late.

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #10  
At 18” thick you will have nothing to worry about. That thickness will generate enough heat to prevent freezing with Your forecast. With 4000 psi mix , the concrete in Ohio has enough strength by day two that freezing is not a concern