Chain sharpening

/ Chain sharpening #1  

CMV

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST (previous LS XJ2025H, JD 500C)
I just have a basic big box store chainsaw. Ryobi 16 in. 37cc - nothing fancy and probably a toy compared to 'real' one. But for all I need one for, it's acceptable. I mostly use it for dealing with downed pine trees or getting low hanging branches clipped to mow under easier.

With a sharp blade it cuts really well for its size/power. But it seems the blade doesn't stay sharp for very long. Limbing and cutting two medium-sized pine into logs seems to be enough that by the end I notice it isn't cutting nearly as well. No idea if that's normal or how long a chain should feel like it's cutting best. I don't run it into the dirt or anything 'bad'. I try to let the saw do the work and not force it into the cut. The chain oil spitter seems like it's right and working - the oil tank empties about the same time as gas tank. But into tree #2 I really noticed it taking a lot longer to make a cut and by the end felt like it was taking twice as long to get through the same diameter of tree.

Anyway, how is the HF electric chainsaw sharpener? Looks like that would be a lot faster/easier than a file. But before messing with it figured I'd see if it's worthwhile or a waste of time & $$$. Also, just using the chain that came with it. Would a different brand stay sharper longer or are they all pretty much the same?

/ Chain sharpening #2  
I like Oregon chains myself for cut durability. Be careful with powered sharpeners, if a strong enough one you have the ability to get the chain so hot that no amount of sharpening will make them last very long. Ruined chain at that point imao. I don't do a lot of sawing myself but I will keep a spare so that if I have a wreck I just swap it out and hand sharpen the other when I am bored and out of beer.

/ Chain sharpening #3  
Baileys recently had the Timberline chain sharpener on sale. I bought one but have not used it yet. But in other threads here, it got very good reviews from chain saw users.

I buy a few things from HF. But I don't think this is one of them I would consider.

/ Chain sharpening #4  
Are you sure you’re not cutting something besides wood? I put a gallon of gas through my saw before I sharpen it and if I only cut wood it’s still pretty sharp.

/ Chain sharpening #5  
I tried a file and that was fer crap. I

I then bought a HF motorized one for $25 or so and that worked pretty good. Not timberline or Oregon machine good but good for the price. Years later I got a Timberline for $100 and use that all the time now. For the occasional used I would get a HF again.

/ Chain sharpening
Are you sure you’re not cutting something besides wood? I put a gallon of gas through my saw before I sharpen it and if I only cut wood it’s still pretty sharp.

Nope. Just medium sized pines and low-hanging branches. No spikes/screws/nails in the wood.

Probably 1/2 gal or less fuel and I notice it really slowing down vs sharp blade.

/ Chain sharpening #7  
I have had chainsaws for years and the absolute best sharpener, at least for me, is the dremel tool with chain saw adapter. I bought one on eBay and wow it works perfect. Sharpens right on the blade in about 5 minutes and cuts like new. So easy that every time I get done using the saw I gas it up, bar oil and sharpen. You can even get the replacement stones at Walmart. They may have the adapter too but didn't never looked

/ Chain sharpening
I have had chainsaws for years and the absolute best sharpener, at least for me, is the dremel tool with chain saw adapter. I bought one on eBay and wow it works perfect. Sharpens right on the blade in about 5 minutes and cuts like new. So easy that every time I get done using the saw I gas it up, bar oil and sharpen. You can even get the replacement stones at Walmart. They may have the adapter too but didn't never looked

That sounds even easier. Will have to see if I can find one.

/ Chain sharpening #9  
I’ve got a timberline. It works great but you’ve got to be patient. The carbides are fragile. And DO NOT turn them backwards.

/ Chain sharpening #10  
Has anyone used the Oregon sharpener?

I have a cheap HF one that I bought a couple years ago and it works ok, just not precise in its measurements which means you spend more time getting it aligned every chain or not do a good job. Usually I am trying to spend my time cutting the wood, not sharpening chains. The Oregon sharpener certainly seems to have a much more professional measurements and adjustments.