Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
Hello... I'm considering adding another machine, and i think a 545D fits the bill. Basically looking for something with a strong loader (these are rated 5000 lbs @ max height), enough grunt to handle some grading tasks, and still light enough to tow around easy.

There aren't all that many left for sale, i think they stopped producing them in the early 90's. So, the pickings are fairly slim.

I'm looking for input from those of you that have experience with these machines. Were they reliable? Were they a good jobsite machine? Do they feel strong enough at 65'ish HP? What kinds of problems did you have with them, and at how many hours? Could you run the PTO for awhile pulling a big mower without overheating?

I'm looking at the power shuttle transmission (Power Reverser) with PTO and Cab.

Thanks in advance.

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #2  
I was following one for sale in FL for a while but didn't have the cash to make and offer. They look like a great mid size heavy duty tractor.

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #3  
Having never saw one, I'm following. :)

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #4  
the 545 is a nice big heavy mid-size tractor, it was the largest industrial tractor short of a full blown backhoe that Ford built. Great heavy loader, stout front end ,axle, and steering. I have it's smallest little brother the 345 but can offer two things to you.

First, you must have something on the back for a counterweight, they will pickup much more than is safe to drive with. You really need a full set of rear wheel weights, loaded tires, and something heavy on the back to keep the rear tires in safe contact with the ground. Mine has a 11' Bradco HD backhoe on it and with a very full bucket of heavy dirt I have felt the rear become a tad light.

second, it will have an independent drive PTO, if yours will have the 4x4 or 8x8 shuttle shift transmission it takes a bit more work and attention to run a mower or tiller.
You have to find a balance in engine speed and an appropriate gear to allow you to mow like you want, then to keep from overheating the transmission you need to engage the torque converter lockout which keeps the settings you have found, and then you can't stop the forward motion without dis-engaging it. Not a big deal, just not what your used to.

still for heavy forward/backward loader work, I think this is the best industrial series out there!

mine -

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #5  
I google searched the 545. It appears to have the same front axle assembly as my 555 TLB.

Another first for me is seeing Joe's 345. Thanks for the pic.

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences
the 545 is a nice big heavy mid-size tractor, it was the largest industrial tractor short of a full blown backhoe that Ford built. Great heavy loader, stout front end ,axle, and steering. I have it's smallest little brother the 345 but can offer two things to you.

First, you must have something on the back for a counterweight, they will pickup much more than is safe to drive with. You really need a full set of rear wheel weights, loaded tires, and something heavy on the back to keep the rear tires in safe contact with the ground. Mine has a 11' Bradco HD backhoe on it and with a very full bucket of heavy dirt I have felt the rear become a tad light.

second, it will have an independent drive PTO, if yours will have the 4x4 or 8x8 shuttle shift transmission it takes a bit more work and attention to run a mower or tiller.
You have to find a balance in engine speed and an appropriate gear to allow you to mow like you want, then to keep from overheating the transmission you need to engage the torque converter lockout which keeps the settings you have found, and then you can't stop the forward motion without dis-engaging it. Not a big deal, just not what your used to.

still for heavy forward/backward loader work, I think this is the best industrial series out there!

mine -

Interesting... I'm glad you're telling me this about the PTO. I'm wondering if running my 3pt stump grinder would be a problem then...? I mainly just run my flail and grinder on the 3pt anymore, not much else unless something unique is needed.

The ones I'm looking at all have inner and outer rear wheel weights. There's a nice one in Minnesota with a Bradco 611 backhoe (looks like a really nice unit) but it's priced higher than I'm wanting to spend. How do you like that backhoe?

I should add that I'm also considering the John Deere 210 C. It has a really heavy duty 3 point hitch setup. It also has a hydraulically operated PTO. I wonder if that would be any more convenient to run?

Last edited:
   / Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #7  
I like the backhoe, it's the 90's version of the 611 you're looking at, but has the cylinder swing instead of the chain style mine has. I bought this a a toy to play with, but find that it's handy to have around. Most all the industrials you look at with a independent PTO and a torque converter will be the same, the PTO was just there if needed.

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #8  
We have a 345d 4x4 with the 8x8 electric shuttle and a 4 in 1 bucket. We use it primarily as a loader tractor, and it works very well for that. Even with 4x4, the tires loaded, wheel weights, and a cab, we STILL keep something on the back of it nearly all the time for ballast (usually a 7' box scraper with a 500# steel weight).

We have had very few problems with it. Mostly everything we've had to do were items that were let go by the previous owner. The tractor is very nice to operate.

These amazing tractors do have a few drawbacks.

1. Heavy and not as maneuverable as an ag tractor
2. Under powered for the weight of the tractor. These things should have had the 4 cyl engine!
3. You cannot "inch" the tractor at PTO speed. The only way to inch the tractor is with the brakes, which must be done at an idle. This is perfect for careful loader work or lifting. I've never used a 3 point stump grinder. I'm not sure if that could be a problem.

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences
We have a 345d 4x4 with the 8x8 electric shuttle and a 4 in 1 bucket. We use it primarily as a loader tractor, and it works very well for that. Even with 4x4, the tires loaded, wheel weights, and a cab, we STILL keep something on the back of it nearly all the time for ballast (usually a 7' box scraper with a 500# steel weight).

We have had very few problems with it. Mostly everything we've had to do were items that were let go by the previous owner. The tractor is very nice to operate.

These amazing tractors do have a few drawbacks.

1. Heavy and not as maneuverable as an ag tractor
2. Under powered for the weight of the tractor. These things should have had the 4 cyl engine!
3. You cannot "inch" the tractor at PTO speed. The only way to inch the tractor is with the brakes, which must be done at an idle. This is perfect for careful loader work or lifting. I've never used a 3 point stump grinder. I'm not sure if that could be a problem.
Can you explain what you mean when you say you can only inch the machine with the brakes and at idle? I understand that these don't have a foot clutch... Are the brakes not strong enough to hold the machine at higher RPM's?

And can you please elaborate on under powered? Can it easily pull the 7 ft box blade when full?

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #10  
Can you explain what you mean when you say you can only inch the machine with the brakes and at idle? I understand that these don't have a foot clutch... Are the brakes not strong enough to hold the machine at higher RPM's?

And can you please elaborate on under powered? Can it easily pull the 7 ft box blade when full?

Oh, yeah...no problem pulling a box blade as full as you want it to be. The under powered part would show if you want to drive fast on the road or run PTO equipment that requires a lot of power.

Inching can only be done through the torque converter - just like a car with an automatic transmission. So imagine a PTO on your car. If you wanted to have the pto up to speed, you'd have to have the engine cranked up. You wouldn't want to have the car in gear and an hold it back with the brakes if the engine is up to speed. 1st gear is slow enough for just about any task, but if you are looking to inch backward with a stump grinder running and cutting, you're not going to have a good time. If you could slow down the engine before inching back and then bring the engine back up to speed and continue grinding, then you'll be fine.