What Is This On Front Axle?

/ What Is This On Front Axle? #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Been trying to figure out what the extra bosses and holes are for on the right front axle of the Mahindra 3015. They are only on the right side, none on the left.
Any thoughts as to possibilities?

Attachments

• MAHINDRA-6.JPG
    MAHINDRA-6.JPG
    533.4 KB · Views: 541
  • MAHINDRA-7.JPG
    MAHINDRA-7.JPG
    558.7 KB · Views: 420
   / What Is This On Front Axle? #2  
I'm wondering if they may have been used for bolting into the steel shipping crate?

/ What Is This On Front Axle?
The power steering cylinder is over on the other (left) side on the backside of the axle housing but may still have something to do with some kind of steering option.

I'm wondering if they may have been used for bolting into the steel shipping crate?

Could be and also maybe a mount for a chain-down when trailering?

/ What Is This On Front Axle? #6  
It's possible the same part is used on other models that utilize the mount?

/ What Is This On Front Axle? #7  
Common to see these on the bottom side of powertrain chassis. Sometimes they are threaded, sometimes not. I always figured they were used during assembly.

/ What Is This On Front Axle? #8  
On one or more models the bosses and holes are used to attach something. Its just a whole lot easier/more economical to use the same axle housing mold for tractors not requiring these bosses/holes than creating a whole new mold.

/ What Is This On Front Axle? #9  
It's possible the same part is used on other models that utilize the mount?

I think that's it, an "off the shelf" part possibly made by others for different applications. My JD had an Italian front axle with some "curious" un used threaded castings.

Are you saying that the front axle could be off of a '29 Model A? :)