Gears grind and another newbie question

/ Gears grind and another newbie question #1  

ssbogger

Tractor
LS XG3025
Hey all,

I came in to the tractor world a few weeks ago and now every free minute I have is spent either on the machine or tinkering with it!

I have a few questions though specifically relating toward the clutch, shifting gears and how the tractor should react.

The machine is a LS XG3025 with synchro shuttle. 3 ranges with 4 gears in each range, forward and reverse.

Issue 1. - The tractor wants to move forward or reverse a little when shifting to FWD or REV from a complete stop. (Note that the other levers have to be in gear for this to happen). I have checked the clutch pedal free play and it is within the mfg specs. Is this normal for a tractor? I know I have had motorcycles that jump slightly when shifting into first gear from neutral but this is my first tractor and I don't want to do anything that is harmful to it.

Issue 2. - It was my understanding that with they synchro shuttle I would be able to shift gears within the same range while moving and using the clutch. For instance, I'm in High range and 1st gear and want to upshift to 2nd and then to 3rd all without stopping just like a person would do in a car. Should I be able to do this without grinding gears? Everytime I attempt this it results in gear grinding and so I haven't tried it much. It also does it if I come to a stop and try to change the gear too fast in the same range. Something wrong or normal operation?

/ Gears grind and another newbie question #2  
I have never operated a LS, but my old Ford 1710 has 4 ranges with 3 gears per range. I can shift from 1 to 2 to 3 in any range, on the go, so long as the clutch is pushed in. Also, I like the engine rpm to be real low when shifting from F to R, or N to F, or N to R. Some say the rpm does not matter, but that is what I do.

/ Gears grind and another newbie question #3  
I have a XG3025 just like yours. Mine doesn't move at all when shifting from forward to reverse. It doesn't grind either when shifting gears like you mention. You should be able to shift 1-4 without any issue or grinding. Still seems like a clutch issue but I'm no expert. If the clutch was not completely disengaged it would do all those things you mentioned.

/ Gears grind and another newbie question #4  
Your clutch is not disengaging all the way.
If it’s under warranty,make the dealer fix it.

/ Gears grind and another newbie question
Your clutch is not disengaging all the way.
If it’s under warranty,make the dealer fix it.

It is under warranty but the dealer is 2.5 hours away. If it's an easy fix I'd like to do it my self but apart from adjusting the pedal play I don't know how to adjust it.

/ Gears grind and another newbie question #6  
The tractor slightly moving when you change from forward to reverse is a new one. Never heard of that. I agree with 3L Farms that the clutch isn't fully disengaged. My Kubota's have a slight grind when I change gears when in motion. Just a slight ticking I can feel on the shifter.

/ Gears grind and another newbie question #7  
had a Kubota L3600 that started to not release the clutch and found rust on the throw out bearing where the retainers attach.
Should you have purchased a tractor sitting in the weather clutch or this bearing possible the problem and if under warranty use it.
Separating the tractor engine and clutch from transmission can be expensive.
ken

/ Gears grind and another newbie question
had a Kubota L3600 that started to not release the clutch and found rust on the throw out bearing where the retainers attach.
Should you have purchased a tractor sitting in the weather clutch or this bearing possible the problem and if under warranty use it.
Separating the tractor engine and clutch from transmission can be expensive.
ken

It was on the dealers lot for a while and I think it was probably left outside in the weather a lot.
I will be going by that dealer for a job meeting this week so maybe I’ll take the tractor with me.

/ Gears grind and another newbie question #9  
If it has a modern hydraulic clutch, there may be no adjustment. Dodge trucks with a Cummins are like that. They are supposed to be self adjusting and as such, have no place for you to make an adjustment.

/ Gears grind and another newbie question #10  
My 6530 is a syn shuttle. It is smooth as silk going up in gear within a range using the clutch. On coming down, at higher engine rpms I can get a little squeak because of the way the gears are revolving trying to go from faster to slower. Cut the throttle which gives the gears more time to mesh and it's all but eliminated.

My 2400 is non sync and it will make noise which is agrivated by the fact that the tranny uses thin trans-hyd rather than gear oil with a higher viscosity and hence a synchronizing effect to a degree. Cutting the rpms is a must for any kind of smooth shifting........buttttt I wanted a lowball no frills tractor and that's what this is.....sorta...FEL, hydro steering, 4wd diesel.