International A414.....Aussie version of B414

/ International A414.....Aussie version of B414 #1  

greggyy

Gold Member
Tractor
Compacts
Hi all,

So have bitten the bullet on an A414.....I hope there are somevAussies here or that the B414 has same variations.

I am very new to tractors, but here are some things I wanted to ask, and I might post some images later too.

1.....Anyone know where you can get a free manual...digital is prob best
2....same for operators....I can use it, but sure I am missing some things....maybe these will get answeted anyways....
3...has no handbrake....I am sure it was not made this way even though seller said so...I can see a lever under the brake arm with a hole, but there is nothing there at all.....will post image later...
4...pto has a lever to engage and is dual stage clutch...is this standard or better variant ? I like the idea that I can stop pto
5...locking diff....has the pedal, I can press it, but do you need to keep your foot on it to stay locked? Or how do you unlock once pressed?
6...steering box drips oil...seller filled ot too top with gear oil, maybe that is the prob there ?
7 ..,has not top link, but where it connects seems to be on a draft sensitive link, but is no draft setting lever ?

Thats about it for now....

TIA

/ International A414.....Aussie version of B414
20180215_174431.jpg20180215_174502.jpg

/ International A414.....Aussie version of B414 #3  
You poor dumb person!

I bought a B275 in 1987. B275 was the predecessor to the B414. Similar tractors, the B414 was 1/8" bigger bore. I chose it 'cause it was cheap. After five hours run, it spun a bearing. I had the crank ground, and installed new undersized bearings. Two weeks later, the crank broke. It then got a complete engine rebuild. By then, my "cheap" tractor was anything but cheap.

/ International A414.....Aussie version of B414 #4  
I will look, I may have a manual that covers it.

/ International A414.....Aussie version of B414 #5  
Here are some photos of the handbrake. It only works on the RH pedal so for it to work well the pedals should be locked.
I dont as I like them independent for better turning.
. by Keith Cree, on Flickr

Also you asked about the Diff lock.
Yes , it has to be held down to keep working.

You poor dumb person!

I bought a B275 in 1987. B275 was the predecessor to the B414. Similar tractors, the B414 was 1/8" bigger bore. I chose it 'cause it was cheap. After five hours run, it spun a bearing. I had the crank ground, and installed new undersized bearings. Two weeks later, the crank broke. It then got a complete engine rebuild. By then, my "cheap" tractor was anything but cheap.

The seller was an honest enough guy and genuine reason to sell, i.e not just been patched up for sale, if donk breaks, it will be sold on for parts I would say, but they cant be that bad or there would not be so many of them running still after half century ? Maybe you were unlucky ?

Would be great if you have a manual.

Cheers

Here is a pic of the top link.

Thanks, are you using cat 1 on top ? is the pin stepped ?

I put cat 2 and got a stepped pin as mine is smaller on one side.

/ International A414.....Aussie version of B414 #9  
Do you have power steering? Mine does not. With bush hog I was unable to hold the front wheels on the ground. I added a loader, then I couldn't steer. Others I've talked to say they demoed this tractor when they hit the market in 1962? and couldn't plow with front wheels on the ground. I'm sure wheel weights, or molasses in the front wheels would fix that.

Watch the brakes!!!!!!! My B275 may, or may not be different from yours. Brakes are augmented by friction, one works best going forward, the other works best backward. As the surfaces rust a bit when not used daily, they get grabby. My tractor might lock the right brake soon after starting, but the left brake is frightening in reverse until it gets polished. Unloading from a trailer gets spooky. The very light front combined with the weight of a bush hog on the rear makes unloading dangerous with a sticking left brake. I unload with the engine off, and the differential lock depressed. I use the clutch as a brake unloading. It's slow, but safer. Bush hogging uphill is another concern if you aren't front weighted. As you raise a heavy duty hog, front wheels might lift. Nothing prevents the tractor from pivoting up to 180 degrees. Mine has a loader frame fixing the balance problem, others could use weight.

Here are some photos of the handbrake. It only works on the RH pedal so for it to work well the pedals should be locked.
I dont as I like them independent for better turning.

Also you asked about the Diff lock.
Yes , it has to be held down to keep working.

Thanks for those images, will have a close look, that type is same as what is on 434, I know my bottom link area is same, but someone has removed whatever handbrake setup there was, there is another type that has a rachet type handle, will see if anyone posts that, maybe they bolt up the same way, ebay au has some of the ratchet type for sale, no idea how it setup though.

re the diff lock, ok, so that is how they are, odd that they cannot be locked on so foot is free to do other things ? I guess if you need more traction, your not trying to stop at the same time nor apply one brake for turning.