hard starting in cold weather, track loader

/ hard starting in cold weather, track loader #1  

Schreib

Tractor
SR80 ASV track loader, land planer, Snow blower, grapple, and whatever extras my neighbor loans me.
I own only one diesel-- an ASV four cylinder Perkins engine, track loader. When trying to start in only mildly cold weather(30°F) I had, what seems to me, significant problems. Problems were related more to keeping it going after start than starting. I expected problems and put in some diesel cold weather "911" treatment into diesel that WAS bought after the cold weather hit; so I expected it to be the low viscosity grade, late October, Minnesota. Here are the symptoms and background:
-- pre-heated the engine with engine block heater 40 minutes.
-- started and it was tough, lots of cranking then it coughed a bit, then coughed and finally started only after holding the key hard against the stop so it kept on coughing until it caught.
-- once started it did not wanted to idle smoothly, up and down RPM's, unstable at best.
-- Once I did this and it stalled and was not re-startable. Next time, it stayed running and took another 30 minutes + to idle smoothly. I hated doing this. Figuring it is wearing on the engine badly that whole time.
-- Once it got going smoothly I figured all is fine. NO. VERY slow to respond. The hydraulic fluid must have been viscous as ****. Also, it would not rev up to full RPM as normal. I was pushing snow with my bucket at about 2 mph only.
-- Then, all must have finally gotten to temp, hydraulics and fuel and it ran normally. Power was fine, good responses hydraulically.

I do not want to have this same experience again because of #1 potential wear on engine and #2 it takes QUITE a while!
Looking for suggestions from Diesel and Hydraulic pros for pre-heating. Is there such a thing as hydraulic tank heater? how about the fuel filter can it be heated? I figure if I had done a better job heating BOTH those fluids all would have been MUCH better.

/ hard starting in cold weather, track loader #2  
5 - 40 engine oil , block heater 3 or 4 hrs. you may have a heavier grade hydraulic oil as well so run your bucket and boom slowly several times to get the oil warm and you can put a magnetic or glue on warmer on the hydraulic tank if you like.

/ hard starting in cold weather, track loader #3  
4hours not 40 minutes . Is the unit parked outside with the wind hitting the engine ? How many watts is the heater ? No battery heating pad under the battery?

/ hard starting in cold weather, track loader
OK! thanks. It is an OEM block heater, not sure of wattage. Engine oil is 5-40 diesel rated Havoline.

SO, from now on I will let the heater run for hours not minutes. I will also get a heater for the hydraulic tank if I can figure a good place to mount it. No heater on battery and probably won't get one but it is nice to know that is possible.

/ hard starting in cold weather, track loader #5  
Hours on loader ?

If not low hours - Air and fuel filter recently changed ? Last fluid service ? Viscosity matters, but hyd sumps will accumulate moisture as hours go up. Can you drain the water separator on fuel filter ?

Block heater works ? Glow plugs ( or intake heater, or __________) works ? Many glow plugs are designed to be On longer than the Wait light shows, on modern equipment.

Rgds, D.

/ hard starting in cold weather, track loader #6  
If it's Powerservice 911 you are using, that is mostly an after-the-crisis-happens tool.

For regular ( Winter ) maintenance use, Powerservice White bottle would be a better choice. It adds a cetane booster, which may help your situation.

Find My Product - Power Service

Rgds, D.

/ hard starting in cold weather, track loader
Thanks for input folks, here's an update:
Mistakenly stated 911 used, it WAS CETANE Boost installed. So, it should have prevented gelling. Assuming it did, it seems there must be another source.

Symptoms today while trying to start: temp 18°F, blankets on engine, both block heater on and ceramic radiant heater pointed at engine for 3 hrs. Started right up idled smoothly at 1500 RPM . . . then slowly lost RPM's and died after about 20 seconds. Did this twice, then would not re-start.
Now, guessing, the fuel supply is not getting to injectors somehow. I bought a new diesel fuel filter today. Maybe the filter is plugged, will find out tomorrow upon replacement

/ hard starting in cold weather, track loader #8  
Thanks for input folks, here's an update:
Mistakenly stated 911 used, it WAS CETANE Boost installed. So, it should have prevented gelling. Assuming it did, it seems there must be another source.

Symptoms today while trying to start: temp 18°F, blankets on engine, both block heater on and ceramic radiant heater pointed at engine for 3 hrs. Started right up idled smoothly at 1500 RPM . . . then slowly lost RPM's and died after about 20 seconds. Did this twice, then would not re-start.
Now, guessing, the fuel supply is not getting to injectors somehow. I bought a new diesel fuel filter today. Maybe the filter is plugged, will find out tomorrow upon replacement

Classic symptoms of using summer fuel in the winter time . Or having water in the fuel .

/ hard starting in cold weather, track loader #9  
A HST metal fuel filter pre-heater really helps warm the hydraulics where it is most likely to gel- at the filter. In subfreezing temperatures I pre-heat accordingly and adjust the additives to a "double shot." One still needs to let the tractor warm up.