Fuel Shut Off John Deere 5045E Final Tier 4

/ Fuel Shut Off John Deere 5045E Final Tier 4 #11  
Unbelievable, how far JD is slipping by cheapening their tractor product line! A manual fuel shutoff valve before the fuel filter is a no brainer that should be standard on every tractor. :rolleyes:

/ Fuel Shut Off John Deere 5045E Final Tier 4 #12  
Unbelievable, how far JD is slipping by cheapening their tractor product line! A manual fuel shutoff valve before the fuel filter is a no brainer that should be standard on every tractor. :rolleyes:

It’s also one for fail point and two more potential leaks

Brett

/ Fuel Shut Off John Deere 5045E Final Tier 4
Rusty has a good point, but I'd prefer to chance a leak. There are times when being able to shut off fuel is a good thing. Don't know if Oldoak's point is only on JD. Others don't do it either. Had an 82 Case 1190 with the same problem. Only it was a bit worse to engineer a valve as it has British Parallel Pipe Thread fittings and they were a trick. :fiery:

/ Fuel Shut Off John Deere 5045E Final Tier 4 #14  
Rusty has a good point, but I'd prefer to chance a leak. There are times when being able to shut off fuel is a good thing. Don't know if Oldoak's point is only on JD. Others don't do it either. Had an 82 Case 1190 with the same problem. Only it was a bit worse to engineer a valve as it has British Parallel Pipe Thread fittings and they were a trick. :fiery:
My point is that my old JD 2350 did have a fuel shut off valve and now JD appears to have cheapened their tractors by eliminating very useful features. Oh, and I never had a leak in the entire fuel system during all the years that I owned that tractor. ;)

/ Fuel Shut Off John Deere 5045E Final Tier 4 #15  
My point is that my old JD 2350 did have a fuel shut off valve and now JD appears to have cheapened their tractors by eliminating very useful features. Oh, and I never had a leak in the entire fuel system during all the years that I owned that tractor. ;)

My personal take is the manufactures are trying to make things easier on the end user and reduce the chances of owner screw ups. Also, they encourage the use of their shops vs home repair. I could only imagine how many service calls they get or got for someone unable to start the tractor and come to find out it’s due to a fuel valve being shut off. I seriously doubt Deere is concerned about a $5 part and the fallout from being accused of cheapening their product.

Brett

My personal take is the manufactures are trying to make things easier on the end user and reduce the chances of owner screw ups. Also, they encourage the use of their shops vs home repair. I could only imagine how many service calls they get or got for someone unable to start the tractor and come to find out it’s due to a fuel valve being shut off. I seriously doubt Deere is concerned about a $5 part and the fallout from being accused of cheapening their product.

Brett

Hope I didn't start a war! I have seen them do some stupid stuff, so I wouldn't bet against the comment on the part. But, I can see them leaving it out to prevent calls too. It is, in my opinion, whomever it is, foolish to have fuel flow when key off and no way to shut off. The sediment bowl can bust, hose can leak, all sorts of things and with the price of fuel it is expensive and messy. All of my Diesel Trucks, have shut off fuel flow when key off, even though the GM had a mechanical lift pump as opposed to Ford's electric.

That said, the advice on the clamp is my first try next time and, if that doesn't work, I can put one in on the tank side fairly easy.

Thanks for all the help!

/ Fuel Shut Off John Deere 5045E Final Tier 4 #17  

Brett
Are you kidding? :rolleyes:

What you say may be typical of weekend farmers and suburbanites for sure, but not of real farmers and people with common sense.

If you watch YouTube Cotton Top recently completed the yearly maintenance on his 5075E. He goes through the same issue and clamps the fuel line. I'm getting ready to do the second maintenance on my New Holland Workmaster. When I performed the initial 50 hour maintenance I did not do the fuel filters. I will this time. It has two. I hope there is a shut off somewhere. I doubt it.

Watched it. Same exact setup. Question answered. Solution found. Still stupid no valve, but? Thanks man!!!

What you say may be typical of weekend farmers and suburbanites for sure, but not of real farmers and people with common sense.

Have a buddy who has been farming for 50 years, just said the same thing. He was nice enough to check it out to make sure no valve.

/ Fuel Shut Off John Deere 5045E Final Tier 4 #20  

“Real farmers” don’t typically buy the 5 series unless they want a small yard tractor. The 6 series is usually the smallest loader tractor used buy real farmers as you say. Common sense isn’t nearly as common as you’d think either.

Brett