Dirt Moving Plow size?

/ Plow size? #1  

Sparkeee24

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320 PCC
Hello everyone,

I am curious how much plow can a modern 70 HP gear drive 9,000 lb 4*4 machine pull with r4 loaded tires? Specifically a kioti RX 7320 power shuttle cab creeper. Soil type is 6-10" topsoil and clay underneath. We are trying to build our soil and grade a bit for drainage. I have an awesome box blade, and an awesome tiller. This is our third year with the garden. It's too wet to till, I was thinking plow first so it could open up and dry then till... Still learning.

/ Plow size? #3  
I believe you should be able to pull 3:16. I pulled a 5 bottom plow with my allis 185 and i guarantee you dont want to try that. I wont do it again with my allis, it is just to much. She was blowing black smoke like a freight train.

/ Plow size? #4  
You do not want to turn clay subsoil in with your topsoil, therefore I would not use a plow of greater than 12" size, which will properly turn soil 5" to 7" deep. This size is the classic sodbuster size.

You can certainly pull a six bottom 12" gang plow which will give you a 72" swathe.

Consider an OFFSET DISC, which is more often than gang plows to open new ground these days.

Very few tractor owners who own a tiller would plow a garden. Even fewer would plow more frequently than once every ten years.

How large is the garden? What is your thinking?

A moldboard plow is the most difficult implement to learn to use effectively. Unless your garden is several acres you will take forever to learn how to adjust it properly. After the plow you will have 12" (14") (16") furrows in your garden, which have to be knocked down. On a farm a Disc Harrow would be used to knock down plow furrows.

A PTO powered roto-tiller is "once and done".

Give us more information.

RE: PHILLIPW above: A 16" plow has a little less than twice the draft forces resistance of a 12" plow. A 16" moldboard plow can turn soil effectively from 7" to 9" deep, which might take plow into the clay, especially as you learn.

Last edited:
   / Plow size? #5  
Hello everyone,

I am curious how much plow can a modern 70 HP gear drive 9,000 lb 4*4 machine pull with r4 loaded tires?

We are trying to build our soil and grade a bit for drainage. I have an awesome box blade, and an awesome tiller.

This is our third year with the garden.

Personally, rather than plowing or roto-tilling a commercial garden I would use an Unverferth Perfecta, pulled by a 4,000 pound tractor.
Perfectas are manufactured in sizes appropriate for a modern 70 HP gear drive 9,000 lb 4*4 machine.

Easier on the earthworms.

VIDEO: Cultivating with a Perfecta - YouTube

UNVERFERTH PERFECTA WEB PAGE: https://media.unverferth.com/unverferth/tillage/perfecta-field-cultivator.pdf

Last edited:
   / Plow size? #6  
I have a tractor your size - 65hp - 10,100 pounds. The garden would have to be ACRES in size before I would even consider using my tractor.

The limiting factor in - "how big a plow can I pull" will most likely be the R4 tires you have on it. They will quickly "gum up" and become slicks.

If its too wet to till, then I would not get on the garden site. If its too wet - you will just make a mess attempting to plow or till.

/ Plow size? #7  
If its too wet to till then its too wet to plow. If its an area that is slow to dry out then run some drain tile.

/ Plow size? #8  
Chisel plow or subsoiling will help your drainage problems immensely.

/ Plow size? #9  
As the others have said if it's to wet to till it's too wet to plow.
With moldboard plows your tire width dictates the minimum size of each bottom.
Horsepower wise you have more then enough for 3, 4 will make it talk.
Chisel plows will break up and lift the soil, they do a good job, they do not bury trash.
Pulled 4 16's with a 560, 5 18's with a Ford 8000, we plowed slow because of the rocks to go faster drop a bottom.