How to remove excess grease?

/ How to remove excess grease? #1  

Johnkn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota LX3310
Went to power wash my 3 year old Kubota this weekend. I've got some excess grease on the tractor in some hard to reach places around some fittings. The cold water pressure washer tended to just move it around, is there something i can easily spray on that will dissolve the grease w/o harming the paint finish? I suspect brake cleaner would hurt the paint and potentially harm the seals. Thanks

/ How to remove excess grease? #2  
Might consider renting out a hot water pressure washer.. I hear those are great for removing grease.

On a side note, a pressure washer removes particles with pressure, a soap of some kind would get rid of the grease a lot easier and faster... and hot water (like washing dishes).

I imagine there are soaps marketed as grease removers for cold pressure washers..

/ How to remove excess grease? #3  
They sell stuff in spray cans for cleaning engines. I think it's called Gunk, if I remember correctly. It washes off afterwards.

/ How to remove excess grease? #4  
   / How to remove excess grease? #6  
You can use a plastic putty knife to remove as much as you can before you pressure wash it. I use simple green spray it on let in soak then hose off

/ How to remove excess grease? #7  
I have used the generic degreaser sold at wally world with some success. I keep several cans on the shelf.

/ How to remove excess grease? #8  
Pressure washer works. I'd avoid using soap/degreaser unless you regrease everything liberally afterwards.

Old rags work best.

/ How to remove excess grease? #9  
I just wipe up the old grease when I'm greasing the tractor or implements.

Pressure washing will put water and soap into the fittings that you grease, especially ones with no seals like loader pivots. Afterwards you'll need to grease more to push out the water and soap and partially dissolved grease. Then you'll have globs of that stuff to deal with.

/ How to remove excess grease? #10  
Pressure washer works. I'd avoid using soap/degreaser unless you regrease everything liberally afterwards.

Old rags work best.
I would regrease EVERY THING that takes grease after pressure washing alone, without any soap/degreaser.

I agree, old rags work best. We're taking about tractors, not Mercedes touring cars. :rolleyes: