Traction What are the NEGATIVES to widening the rear wheels / rear end?

/ What are the NEGATIVES to widening the rear wheels / rear end? #21  
The older tractors that the front ends got widened out on where two wheel drive and the axles where built to be adjusted, you actually widened the axle, you were not adding wheel spacers to increase the bearing loads. That being said the front wheels on my tractor have the bolt on rims to the centers and do have some adjustability.

/ What are the NEGATIVES to widening the rear wheels / rear end? #22  
4020 with adjustable front axle

Capture.JPG

/ What are the NEGATIVES to widening the rear wheels / rear end? #23  
In the 19 years my rear tires have been dished out, the only issue I have ever had was with using a turning plow. Because of the geometry of the wheels, it makes adjusting the plow quite difficult, but it can be done. (With the front tire in the furrow, as well as the back tire and not in the same centerline of the tractor, it kicks the plow to the furrow side and has to be compensated for).

My experience with dishing out the front tires was terrible; nothing to do with approach angles or bearing stress; it had INSANE amounts of bump-steer. We put them back before we even put away the tools it was so bad.

/ What are the NEGATIVES to widening the rear wheels / rear end? #24  
   / What are the NEGATIVES to widening the rear wheels / rear end? #25  
Mainly the reason not to do it is because of the front end loader, and the amount of stress it puts on the axle. Move the wheels out and the stress on the bearings increases. Beyond that, no it wouldn't really make the tractor any more stable. Since the front axle pivots, the additional width only comes into play once you hit the stop at the end of the travel. If you hit that stop with any momentum, I don't think how far out your wheel is is gonna make much difference.

There is some added stability: Considering the fulcrum of a lever is the right front wheel and the left wheel hits a hole while the right is on level ground. Dishing the wheel makes the arm longer (distance between the variance and stability) and in doing so a deviation of whatever dimension decreases the amount the tractor responds as you move toward the fulcrum...not much but considering a row crop, any is better...... since rollovers are usually caused by things like pot holes and such....irregular terrain on the down slope tire.

I had a '64 Ford 4000 with the self contained FEL of the day and an inverted front axle due to prior breakage and resultant welding back together. Really put the front tires at a peculiar angle.....but I bought it at a salvage price and had other plans for it.

/ What are the NEGATIVES to widening the rear wheels / rear end? #26  
One issue you may have is loading the tractor on a trailer. Depending on how wide the ramp(s) are you might have to reposition them after you get the first set of wheels on the trailer if the rears are set really wide. Also going thru narrower gates can be challenging.