Changing Hydro Fluid

/ Changing Hydro Fluid #1  

tobintm

Live in Delaware, but the tractors in Bradford Cou
Tractor
John Deere 4300
I'm getting ready to perform 500 hour maintenance on my JD 4300. So I'm reading about changing the transmission fluid. For my 4300 I need change 6.8 gallons of fluid. What do you guys use to drain that much fluid?

Tom

/ Changing Hydro Fluid #2  
5 gallon bucket's. i have three of them just for oil.
i have one that is cut out to fit the lower drains on the rear end.

/ Changing Hydro Fluid #3  
What he said /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Get a couple 5-gal buckets. It's best if you can get the bucket under the tractor to catch it all. It's a pain if you have to drain a bit, and then dump a smaler pan...

/ Changing Hydro Fluid #4  
Five gallon buckets work, you can also get some plastic barrels and cut the bottoms off to what ever depth of a pan you need. One for the tractor, one for the car, etc. The plastic those drums are made of is thicker than store bought plastic pans so they hold up better.

/ Changing Hydro Fluid #5  
I have an old heavy rubber pan that holds about 3 gallons, and I bought a heavy grade plastic 5 gallon pan from Walmart for not too much. However, my system only holds just over the 5 gallons so I empty one outlet into the smaller pan first and all the rest into the 5 gallon. The big pan has a spout for easy pouring into a 5 gallon bucket and a trip to the hazardous waste dump. John

/ Changing Hydro Fluid #6  
One more thing look at your owners manual or if you know and figure out how many plugs you have. start with the highest plug and let it drain out then move to the lower plugs.
mine has like 3 or 4 so by the time i get to the lowest plug i already have some buckets with quite a bit in them. it'll work out where you have some in each bucket so you don't fill any one bucket to much.

/ Changing Hydro Fluid #7  
Instead of cutting off the buckets, I have started running the tractor up on 6"x6" timber scraps to give me enough extra height to fit a standard bucket under the tractor.

Jeff

/ Changing Hydro Fluid #8  
You could also try the NEWBIE method and open the lowest drain first with the smallest pan under it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kepp the OLD 5 gallon buckets the NEW fluid comes in for the next change too... may be a round a while but worth it when you need them.

THIS WEEK TSC has 6 gallong buckets on sale for price of 5 !

take the used oil to the local autozone/parts america they take it usually... not sure if the will take the hydro fluid but be sure and ask first...

I use a set of car ramps (I have 4 total) to pull up on for added room under tractor. that way the hole tractor is 12" higher than normal.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Changing Hydro Fluid #9  
Here's a link to what I used. No muss, no fuss, no need to use ramps, trim buckets, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Changing Hydro Fluid #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( take the used oil to the local autozone/parts america they take it usually... not sure if the will take the hydro fluid but be sure and ask first...
)</font>

If not then take it to the local jiffy lube. The guys there will take anything.
You may get a comment like, "boy that looks awfully clean", or "boy that looks pretty thin".... but they will take it anyway.

Fred