Between a rock and soft dirt

/ Between a rock and soft dirt #11  
Ok... so the suspense is killing us. Did you get it out OK? Those are some pretty scary pictures. It sure can happen fast, can't it. I appreciate pictures like this, because when I am stretching the limits of mine, I slow down and make mental images similar to this to keep me honest.... (and upright).

Greg

/ Between a rock and soft dirt #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I appreciate pictures like this, because when I am stretching the limits of mine, I slow down and make mental images similar to this to keep me honest.... (and upright).

Greg
)</font>

I agree. When ever I think that maybe I can do it, I recall an image or two from the memory banks and usually my decision is thanks but no thanks. G

/ Between a rock and soft dirt #13  
Yikes! I saw this and your other pic...then nothing! Did you get it out yet? If so, how? Hello? Are you still there..? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Pete

/ Between a rock and soft dirt #14  
First thing I would do is swing that hoe all the way to the up hill side and pull all that very high up weight in the proper place. Drop the lower stabilizer and try and gently use the hoe to turn the tractor to a closer to 90 degree angle to the ditch. At that point using the bucket for help, it should back right out.

Andy

/ Between a rock and soft dirt #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Have you tried using your backhoe and loader to crawl yourself out? Extend your BH and use it to lift and pull while you lift the front with your loader with the bucket edge down and curl your bucket to push. It's a slow, laborious process, but it works. Obviously, a big winch would work, too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Had a Terramite in a similiar predicament. Thought "I'll just swing the BH arm up slope and pull my self out" Well I got confused from the excitement and looking over my shoulder and swung it the wrong way. Ended up tilting over and me walking up onto the side of the back wheel and jumping off. Whole thing was over in about 5 seconds.

Luckily I had put out the out-riggers and it kept it from going all the way over. Had to pull it out with a 4WD and using the Hoe to pull it up.

/ Between a rock and soft dirt #16  
I hate it when i come to a post like this and read the problem and then all the replies and everyone has given u most of the answers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Been in that position a million times and if yer not really usin the cut then you'll never be in that position.....Great job on gittin the fel down quick to stabilize!!!...Stabilizers wont really help in this situation..they were right on the bhoe as a counter weight tho...by stretching the bhoe slowly uphill and thenout its incredible how much u cna counter the tippability!!!here's what i would have done...slowly rotate the bhoe up hill...grab a bucket of dirt...close bhoe...the raise it up till bout 3 ' above uphill..grade...get off of the cut and go git my 3/4" bull rope and 2 steel chockers and 2 1/2 shackles...look for the stoutest tee above u that is in the same plane as the bhoe or rear tires...wrap 1/2" steel chocker round THE BUTT OF THE TREE!!!...put in a 1/2 shackle...go to bhoe..put steel choker on one of bhoe's teeth...stretch choker out in a "vertical lift mode"...put in shackle...tie bull rope with bowline knotinto shackle.....stretch rope out to other shackle...tie an inline bowline to shackle..git back on hoe...slowly raise upper boom till down pressure is created...slowly start "trying to pull the tree towards u always adjusting to keep down pressure on rear tires....when rope is fully bow string tight ...raise fel bout 6"..and continue pulling very slowly with bhoe...u can literally pivot a cut round completely on its rear wheel axis like this...make sure u have 3/4" rope in good shape or use chain....the biggest trick tho is the counter weight that bhoe exteneded and full of dirt creates..be very careful and go slow.....once turned up hill then use the hoe and bucket to pull yerself out....i will say this one more time as without experience...u could have an upside tractor or yerself under it or possibly both...this situation can literally be lethal!!!

using the hoe under tension can give u ample down strain and sidepull ability....just go slow...be calm and take your time...and oh yes when doing this make sure yer brakes r off..and bucket not hanging up on anything

did i say go slow!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

when i git the hoe for my cut ill have to add arigging adventure like this to the riggin string!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Between a rock and soft dirt
Yes, I did get it out. I hooked a cable to the backhoe frame (near the centerpoint) and used a 2000lb ATV winch tied to a tree to stabilize the tractor rear end. The winch didn't have the power to to anything other than "hold things in place". I did move the BH boom all the way to the uphill side to shift the weight after I got off and saw the "whole picture".

The BH stabilizer on the downside was useless because it just sank in the dirt. Using the BH to raise the center of gravity made the pucker factor surpass even my newly recalculated limits, so I quickly gave up on that one.

However, after the back end was not going downhill anymore, I was able to get the front end pointed down so the angle of the tractor was more "up and down" instead of "side to side". Then, I could use the BH boom to raise the back and put the tractor at at complete 90 to the bank.

With the tractor parallel, the winch, curling the bucket, and using the diff lock enabled me to get the rear tires back on solid dirt where I could pull out of the situation. Took about 2 hours, inch by inch.

The trees aren't completely vertical (the picture is about straight), but yes, it was feeling quite tippy and my mind was reviewing all the events of doing a slow roll and how the ROPs was "supposed" to protect me. I must say, that it was a tuff decision to keep the belt on vs. preparing to jump off on the high side. I think discussions on this board made me do what didn't feel natural... keep the belt tight, implements low, and move ever-so-slowly. Hey... it worked. :)

Ironically, I have a tilt-meter and it came loose from the mount the day before this happened. I don't think I would have had time to look at it anyway in this case, but I'm remounting it today. At least I could have seen how high it would go on a B7800 if it had been mounted.

/ Between a rock and soft dirt #18  
great job!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifi like the part u said about "VERY SLOWLY" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifthings don't happen so fast when u go slow do they!!!!???? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What size steel cable is on yer 2000lb winch???1/4" or 5/16"???and what di u use to tie the atv to the tree to??..did u understand what i meant by tieing the "rope,winchline,or chain to the bhoe bucket???and then slowly raising to creat down strain on the uphill rear tire??? and incredible amount of down pressure can be created by doing this...i was not saying to raise the center of gravity by any means but to create exactly the opposite .."down pressure".... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scary situation tho wasn't it...kinda make u smile now that its all over ....how witha little time and thought u can overcome jist bout anything!!!!!try it with a d9 high track while working on twice as steep hills /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifgulp!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

it literally does make u pucker up down there doesnt it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
yer stomach tightens up into a ball!!!you start gittin a dry mouth!!!!moving very slowly and i'bet u got off on the uphill side too didnt yaaa!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifand realllyyyy!!!slowly!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
and u could'nt have gotten a bb out of u no where!!!!
kind of exhilarating tho!!!!!wasn't !!!but sumfn you;ll try to avoid 4 a while tho>>>>eeeeehhhhhhh!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jist imagine how fighter pilots feel when in a real dogfight!!!
u git used to it after a while...and then the brain jist seems to act different ..not so much fear anymore!!!jist a ..dadgummit ...i did it agin!!!least u got pics !!!!!!got any more!!!....that is a great time to make sure u have plenty of room on yer cam and i'd frame at least one of those!!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

just remember one thing..the bhoe is an adjustable tiepoint..i disagree with tieing to the rops...but tieing to the hoe give u the ability to chang tiepoint elevations bcause of its ability to raise and lower...u do not want to tie down low.....up high gives u a lot more cantileverability!!!tokeep from tipping!!

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!
TODD /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Between a rock and soft dirt
<font color="blue">What size steel cable is on yer 2000lb winch? </font>

1/4" cable I think... light duty and meant to pull my little (650 Prairie) ATV out of trouble. I dismounted it from the ATV and chained the winch to a nearby tree. The ATV wouldn't have held the tractor and I would have lost both vehicles!!!

Not sure if I would classify it up there with a dogfight, but it was enough excitement for me. I would prefer a nice, calming drive through the grove in medium range, giving critters plenty of time to scamper out of the way.

Guess I'm getting too old for thrills (however chaining a wench to a tree sounds pretty exciting now that I read back over my post). /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Between a rock and soft dirt #20  
do me one favor my friend!!!!! look up what the breaking point for 1/4 inch cable is and divide it in half...divide in half because any time u put a cable in a strain or bite..including a shackle or hook u reduce its strength BY ONE HALF!!!!!! the reason that i bring this up is because of what i've been doing for the MAJORITY OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!! rigging and working with cranes and REALLY HEAVY equipment and fortunately i've bin round on a few occasions where the guys that i was working with did not know thier $h## as well as i did and had to take the time to explain something that they were jist going to wing....the above is a pic one one of my 1/2" steel chokers that is in perfect health...time ..abrasions..wear and fraying happen to all pieces of equip. of rigging gear no matter how well u take care of them and these #'s r for those pieces of rigging gear that r in the most perfect of health.....jist imagine if u had put that liddl tiny piece of 1/4 " wire round down low and it popped !!!!!! what if u had been blocking the cut up and were putting yer or anothers life in the "!!!!DEATH ZONE!!!!" AND IT POPPED.........the fact that u ended up side ways on a treacherous grade is enuff to tell u that $&!+ happens way to fast...and i know that u may think that i am scolding u but i AM NOT!!!!........I CANNOT EMPHASIZE ENUFF TO U GUYS HOW MUCH I CARE AND HOW I'D FEEL IF'N SUMF'N HAPPENED TO ANY ONE OF YA'LL...ESPECIALLY KNOWING THAT I HAD THE KNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE AND I DIDN'T SHARE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cut's make u feel great and i understand that and mine makes me feel great also!!!!!!!!.....I defer to the pic that i put up and see how the wire choker LOSES ONE HALF OF IT'S STRENGTH UNDER A CHOKE!!!! OR BITE!!!!! AND THAT IS UNDER THE BEST OF CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!!!!!!!ALWAYS IN A SHACKLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MOST GUYS THINK THAT U CAN BACK BITE A CABLE ON THE PROVIDED HOOK AND GIT AWAY WITH IT!!!!NOT TRUE...ESPECIALLY WHEN DEALING WITH THE HEAVIER LOADS OF A CUT AND THE OVER SIZE LOADS IT PUTS ON A CABLE..OR HOOK....LOOK AT JIST HOW SHARP THE CUTTING EDGE OF THE INSIDE OF A HOOK REALLY IS VS. A SHACKLE!!!! SO TAKE A LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCES OF A CHOKE AND A BASKET AND A STRAIGHT PULL(VERTICAL)!!!!
NOW U GUYS KNOW Y I WANNA HAVE A KNOT AND RIGGING CLASS KINDA THING AND I ALREADY STARTED IT AND JIST HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO FINISH...I SHUDDERED WHEN I SAW THE PIC OF HIS CUT LAYING ALMOST OVER ON IT'S SIDE!!!

Attachments

• 444037-115_1575_1.JPG
    444037-115_1575_1.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 277