SCUT Mowing - Ground Speed?

/ SCUT Mowing - Ground Speed? #1  

mculik5

Tractor
Thinking about a SCUT
Hi. New to the forum.

I'm thinking about getting a SCUT for the loader and backhoe, but I can only make it work financially if I sell my ZTR and the ATV I'm using for snowplowing/utility. This means I'll need to mow with the SCUT (I'd get a 60" MMM).

I mow 2.2 acres of average lawn (not a golf course, not a pasture) every week. Currently, I'm using a 52" Toro ZTR. It's a commercial-grade unit, and I'd guess I mow at 7-8 MPH. My whole yard takes me 1.5 - 2 hours to mow. I don't have many trees or obstacles, but I do have over 1000' of fence that I mow along.

Mowing is 80+% of what I'll be using the tractor for, and I don't want to add more time to my weekend routine. However, I'm having a hard time getting a sense of SCUT mowing ground speeds. One dealer is telling me my 2 hour job will take 3-4 with a SCUT, and one is telling me that I can mow just as fast as I do on the ZTR (basically, top speed of the tractor), and the only time I'll loose is turning around. I did my own quick math and figured the SCUT will add 15 minutes to my routine, but I don't know if my assumptions are right.

Can anyone who mows with a SCUT talk about how fast you're able to reasonably go?

Thanks!

/ SCUT Mowing - Ground Speed? #2  
The main thing to figure out is your actual mowing speed. 7-8mph is clipping! If you are going 8mph I highly doubt a SCUT is going to be close. I think my BX maxes out around 8mph and about the only time I ever run it at 8mph is on the road. In OUR yard it would shake you about to death and the mower would be bouncing. Don't forget the SCUT are somewhat heavy for small machines, don't have suspension (not sure if your Turn model does), and often have the rear tires loaded so not the best combo for ride quality.
I cut a little over two acres with hills, trees and a fair amount of spots to slow me down and I can get it down in 2hrs with a 60 MMM so if you are wide open it sounds more than possible.

/ SCUT Mowing - Ground Speed? #3  
You're not traveling nearly as fast as you think you are. a 54" mower going 7mph should be able to do 2.2 acres in about 45 minutes. You're probably averaging 4 or so mph.

A SCUT with a 60" deck will do about an acre an hour on average. The problem is, I don't know your terrain. Is your lawn smooth enough that you can keep the pedal down?

My suggestion is asking for an on site demo, time yourself on a section with the zero turn the week before, then do the same section over with the SCUT.

/ SCUT Mowing - Ground Speed? #4  
Well, i'm pretty opinionated and set in my convictions. I've been around this stuff for 40 plus years. Someone on here will probably try to attack or discredit me and whoopy! Here goes: the speed of mowing generally depends on two things. How well is the machine handling the job and how nice of a cut do you want. The slower you go with with good sharp blades the nicer the cut and the easier on the machine. With normal grass say 2 or 3 inches tall, a good zero turn mower will "flat kick a little tractors butt". However, if you are in tall stuff say knee high, the little tractor wins out. I would not be a bit surprised if a little tractor does not add an extra hour or so to your mowing time. As far as affordable or not with out selling you current toys, only you know you own situation. However, if you have reasonably good credit, IE a car loan, mortgage, maybe a couple credit cards etc, a lot of dealers will finance a tractor for you. Shop around, some of these little tractors aren't worth hauling home in my opinion. Also, watch your dealers. Some are as bad as a used car salesman and will tell you anything to make a sale. Hope this helps.

/ SCUT Mowing - Ground Speed? #5  
Well, i'm pretty opinionated and set in my convictions. I've been around this stuff for 40 plus years. Someone on here will probably try to attack or discredit me and whoopy! Here goes: the speed of mowing generally depends on two things. How well is the machine handling the job and how nice of a cut do you want. The slower you go with with good sharp blades the nicer the cut and the easier on the machine. With normal grass say 2 or 3 inches tall, a good zero turn mower will "flat kick a little tractors butt". However, if you are in tall stuff say knee high, the little tractor wins out. I would not be a bit surprised if a little tractor does not add an extra hour or so to your mowing time. As far as affordable or not with out selling you current toys, only you know you own situation. However, if you have reasonably good credit, IE a car loan, mortgage, maybe a couple credit cards etc, a lot of dealers will finance a tractor for you. Shop around, some of these little tractors aren't worth hauling home in my opinion. Also, watch your dealers. Some are as bad as a used car salesman and will tell you anything to make a sale. Hope this helps.

Not sure why the disclaimer?? Nothing opinionated about this post.

/ SCUT Mowing - Ground Speed? #6  
If 80% of your hours will be mowing how can you justify an FEL and backhoe?

An FEL can possibly be justified. A backhoe on a SCUT is very hard to justify.

Maybe look for a used machine to fill the gap and keep the ZTR for mowing tasks?

/ SCUT Mowing - Ground Speed? #7  
I have done a fair amount of mowing with both a tractor with a 90" finish mower and with several large zero-turn mowers. I currently mow about 1.5 acres with a 61" ZTR. Before that I used a 66" ZTR. In my experience, the ZTR mowers mow considerably more quickly that even a larger mower on a tractor. The reason is that the ZTRs are much more maneuverable and can mow more quickly around trees, corners, make 180-degree turns, etc., than the tractor. However, if your mowing area is wide open so that you can mow pretty much in straight lines with wide-open turnaround areas at the ends, the tractor might be competitive with respect to mowing time. Otherwise, I would predict that your 52" ZTR would complete your mowing more quickly than a CUT with a 60" mower. But, the tradeoff of getting the tractor in return for spending a little more time mowing would IMO probably be worth it.

/ SCUT Mowing - Ground Speed? #8  
I mow 2.2 acres of average lawn (not a golf course, not a pasture) every week. Currently, I'm using a 52" Toro ZTR. It's a commercial-grade unit, and I'd guess I mow at 7-8 MPH. My whole yard takes me 1.5 - 2 hours to mow. I don't have many trees or obstacles, but I do have over 1000' of fence that I mow along.

The formula for theoretical capacity = average ground speed (mph) * implement width (feet)/8.25. That value has to be adjusted by an efficiency factor that allows for overlap, turning, etc.

Assuming 82.5% efficiency, the field capacity reduces to average ground speed (mph) * implement width (feet)/10.

If you are mowing 1.1 acres per hour with a 4.33 ft. mower and 82.5% efficiency, your ground speed would work out to be 2.54 mph.

Steve

/ SCUT Mowing - Ground Speed? #9  
If 80% of your hours will be mowing how can you justify an FEL and backhoe?

An FEL can possibly be justified. A backhoe on a SCUT is very hard to justify.

Maybe look for a used machine to fill the gap and keep the ZTR for mowing tasks?

What Richard wrote.

If you can rent a mini-ex near you I'd strongly suggest get a used SCUT w/FEL & bucket and rent the mini-ex when you need a backhoe. Especially if you were thinking of a small SCUT.

Small backhoes on small tractors are very limited compared to small mini-ex's, except for speed of travel.

/ SCUT Mowing - Ground Speed? #10  
No offense, but..... are you crazy??:confused2:

If mowing is your primary time consumer, be prepared to add to it. Doubling your time is a fair estimate, ZTR vs SCUT. Not only speed, but maneuverability. I have both, no way in Haiti I'd go back to tractor finish mowing.

Figure out a way to get the tractor and keep the ZTR, or keep what you've got. My $.02.