Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #1  

eyi

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Hi all,

Went thru kind of disappointment yesterday.

Had my Farmi 351 on, chained two 26 feet long firs, 18 inches diameter butts. Tractor couldn稚 lift the package more than a couple inches. Butt side was by the winch.

What do you think, mechanical problem or was asking too much ?

Isn稚 it the kind of work a tractor should accomplish ?

Your thoughts ?

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #2  
We need Jeff9366 to post up the tractor specs and have a look at them.

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #3  
Those are pretty good sized trees, you were most likely asking too much of it. Each tree probably weighs close to the capacity of your 3pth, plus the weight of your winch. Granted you aren't lifting the entire tree.
Sometimes just the angle they are on the winch causes them to bind up. I've had smaller trees than that on, but just the way I had pulled them in wouldn't allow me to lift them.
Once you unhooked them did the loader work OK? Could you lift just one tree?

We need Jeff9366 to post up the tractor specs and have a look at them.
1998 lbs, according to Tractordata.com

Last edited:
   / Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #4  
The L3800 3-Point Hitch Specs:
Rear Type: I
Rear lift (at ends): 1,998 lbs [906 kg]
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm): 1,435 lbs [650 kg]

What were the RPMs when lifting? If at idle, it might not but at 2,000 it should have.

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #5  
Thiink about it. Your winch is probably 600 lbs and each of those 26 foot logs will weigh at least a ton, and probably more if they were fresh cut and wet. If you pick up one end of each log, that's 1,000 lbs per log, so you're trying to lift at least 2,600 lbs. with a tractor rated for about 1,500 lbs. Take one log at a time. The equipment will last longer when it's not abused and it's also safer.

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees
Well that’s good food for thoughts.

Yep fresh cut.

The problem I have with it is one log at a time I can do that my my 420cc honda atv with a skidding cone, on cold snow.

Is my tractor on the weak side in term of tractor or it has good capabilities ?

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #7  
I have the Farmi mounted on an L2501. Lifting capabilities are the same for the 3point hitch as your tractor. So, with the girth of the winch adding (just guessing here) another 12" to the ends of the hitch, this significantly reduces the lifting power of your hitch. Two 18" by 12 foot logs are the max of my rig. Longer logs create lots more weight on the hitch. I hope this helps.

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #8  
I don't think they would be a ton a piece but they are definitely heavy (guessing 1500 each ) and with the winch would be close or over your lift capacity. One think to check though - I have a 351, it is an older one and the newer ones may be different, but the thing about mine is that the dozer blade has a big sweeping curve at the bottom so it digs into the ground aggressively. Which is good but it also can cause a problem sometimes when I try to lift a hitch. If the edge of the dozer blade, as in what would be the cutting edge, if the edge digs into the butt ends of the logs and the choker chains tighten as you lift then the logs become a cantilevered load and the winch is trying to pick the entire log off the ground not just the butts. Make sure you have some slack so the logs don't get jammed on the edge of the dozer blade so this doesn't happen. That winch is probably on the large side for you tractor too.

gg

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #10  
The L3800 3-Point Hitch Specs:
Rear Type: I
Rear lift (at ends): 1,998 lbs [906 kg]
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm): 1,435 lbs [650 kg]

What were the RPMs when lifting? If at idle, it might not but at 2,000 it should have.

Are you sure that is right - dumb question. But I have an L3010 and the 3 pt hitch is much stronger

2870 lbs at the lift points (ball ends)
2310 lbs 24" behind that

gg