Let's discuss finish mowers for me

/ Let's discuss finish mowers for me #1  

BMan2005

Platinum Member
Tractor
17' New Holland Workmaster 60 & 02' Kubota L3000F
Hey guys, I've put it off long as I can and it's about time to replace my mower. Thought hard about a new zero turn, but I'm leaning heavy towards buying a finishing mower for my Kubota L3000 and turn it into the lawn machine. Since purchasing our bigger tractor I don't use it near as much and I know it'll out last any mower I could buy, owned since New in 2002 and only have 480 hrs on it. We have about 3.5 acres here in grass, but when we move to our new property in the next 2 years I think I'll love having it. I have 12 acres cleaned up there for pasture and house to be built plus our drive is over 3000'. What size do you recommend for me and this tractor? It's 32hp and 27.5hp PTO going by Kubota.

Thanks

/ Let's discuss finish mowers for me #2  
I ran a 7’ rfm on my Kubota L3410, and occasionally do now on a L4060.
Once I cut with a zero turn it was hard to not be overly critical of the rfm, but it does an acceptable job.

/ Let's discuss finish mowers for me #3  
I switched over from a zero turn to a finish mower last year and I love it. I got the 6' rear discharge Ag Mate from Agri Supply. Tires have chunked a little but the mower is very smooth and quiet. Nothing I have mowed has slowed or bogged my tractor that has 24 engine and 19 PTO HP. The rear discharge is the way to go in my opinion. Can mow close to trees and it keeps the dust behind you unless you turn into the wind on a dry day. The price was so reasonable I walked out with $20 left over from my used Craftsman ZT7500 sale and had a larger brand new mower.

/ Let's discuss finish mowers for me #4  
A 6' rear finish mower would probably be your best bet.
Your tractor might run a 7' fine depending on thickness and length of grass between cuttings.
I run a 7' rear discharge finish mower with a 33 HP, 28.3 PTO HP tractor with no problem mowing every week with thick/fast growing grass.

/ Let's discuss finish mowers for me #5  
Not against the idea, but wonder if a 30 hp tractor would leave ruts in the lawn in the spring. Also, how would that work around trees and shrubs in the yard?

I have a 5 ft Land Pride, bought it in 2004, gives a nice cut around the barn and fields, haven’t tried it in the yard.

/ Let's discuss finish mowers for me #6  
I think my LS XJ 2025H would tear up my yard if it was even a little bit soft. Also, with the loader on it would be hard to turn without hitting trees and fences. It would be a hassle to keep removing and installing the loader, even though it's a quick release.

When my old ZTR quits, I am thinking new ZTR. My 5 ft rotary cutter will do an acceptable job maintaining my walking paths if necessary.

/ Let's discuss finish mowers for me
My 3000 Kubota doesn't have a loader so no worries on that one & if I did this would be to put turf tires on the Kubota replacing the AG's. My end goal would be to use it for mostly mowing and yard maintenance now that we have our larger tractor for everything else. BUT, the rutting is a concern I could have.
Tree's will not be a big issue on the new place when we build as me and the wife has decided to plant and have a minimum amount of tree's on the new place. Especially NO pines, LoL. Not in the yard at least.

These are all good points and I appreciate it guys, feel free to add concerns going this route pro's/con's.

/ Let's discuss finish mowers for me #8  
I've been my lawn with a Kioti DK 35 with r-4 tires and 7' rear finish mower for years.
I don't have any problem with rutting the lawn.
Does it leave some marks in the yard in the early spring = yes. But they seem to disappear in a short period of time.
Does it leave permanent ruts = no
It is a non issue during the summer months

I always remove my loader to mow. It only takes a few minutes.

/ Let's discuss finish mowers for me #9  
A 7 foot mower sounds great as long as the land is level. If you have much up and down, you get a lot of short and long spots with a wide mower.

/ Let's discuss finish mowers for me #10  
I ran a 7 foot Frontier with an ancient John Deere 40 which is <30 hp with no sweat and it did a great job. I find most manufacturers hp recommendations to be somewhat overstated, and a lot depends on the crop you're cutting and the ground speed you wish to run. I also run a 5' slasher/bush hog/brush hog/brush cutter/whateveryouwanttocallit with a Farmall C that might squeak out 19 PTO hp on a good day with no problems. If the grass is 3 feet tall, I run a lower gear and get 'er done.